Leaving the US while N400 pending?

moon

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,
I am applying for naturalization at VSC/Boston based on marriage. My PD is 9/28/04, and FP is 11/17/04. I am still waiting for the interview letter.
However, it looks like I will need to relocate outside of the US due to job requirements for a couple of years. I will probably need to leave the US in the spring, and almost certainly, I won't get through the N400 process by then. I'm wondering if I leave the country, can I still keep my application process? Is there a time limit on how long I can be physically away before my application is considered abandoned? I can have my address changed to my in-law's address (in DC area) and I can certainly fly back for the interview. Since I'm not applying through my employer, I don't have access to their lawyers. Does anyone here have a similar experience? Thank you so much.

I may be in a similar position to you. There are two threads with the same question. I think the conclusion of those discussions is as follows:

1. It is very important that you do not leave the US for more than 6 months at a time.

2. Have someone get your mail and never miss any interview, FP, etc. etc

3. To keep your application viable you must keep the physical residency requirement at any given point i.e. when you appled you were required that you were in the US for 30 months of the last 60 months (If you are married to a US citizen then 18 of 36). This requirement must be kept until you take your oath.

Therefore,

Assuming you were present in the US for the last couple of years then even if you leave the US for up to 6 months and have the interview +oath (You can even go out in between the interview and oath), you should be fine.

If, on the other hand, your N400 lags and your interview will not take place until after more than a year (even if you come for a short visit every 6 months), you might have your application denied due to you not keeping the physical residency requirement.

Good luck, Yalag