layoff and contrcat position

witty_humorous

Registered Users (C)
Guys :

I need a little help for someone. If you get laid off after 6 months of I485 (waiting for final approval, finger printing etc. done),

(1) Can you join a contract position (on EAD) that is paying you 40 hours per week in your area of expertise (same expertise area as on labor cert.). This is a contract position , not a full time job. (Your labor, I-140, I 485 was applied by previous employer with whom you were a full time employee).

(2) Is there any duration of contract that you have to show to INS (i.e. this contract is for 6 months or 12 months etc.)

Is it ok to show INS in case they demand your work status in an RFE or something. Any effect on citizenship...

Your answers are appreciated . Thanks in advance

GC needs a Permanent position

Any duration, one month, six months, ten years, etc. is not a permanent position. The position also must be full time. There may be ways around these problems (incorporate your own company and have the company extend a permanent full time offer but that also brings problems since if you are running the company there are additional duties and the position may no longer be "similar".

You need to discuss your options and the risks involved with the attorney handling your I-485 filing.

Jim

James D. Mills
Attorney at Law
732-644-5702
http://www.geocities.com/jamesdmillsesq/

Contracting

Normally when contracting you have the option of being independent or going W2. If you choose to take a W2 contract then you are deemed a full-time hourly employee of the company. I got my GC through an agency as a W2 employee and thus could be sponsored for a GC. I do remember though that I had to work atleast 34 (?? I think) hours a week to maintain my status though. So you can\'t work for six months and then stop working for six months. I was with my agency for 5 years and during that time worked on a variety of contracts, but always under the same job title and job description which was on my original labour cert.

Hope this helps.

What about 1099?

What if somebody has a similar, full-time position position but is on 1099 (independent consultant)? Any knowledge of people that have been rejected or accepted on 1099 during I-485 interview?

Got GC Recenly and Laid off!! Can i file NJ unemployment insurance?

We(me and my wife) got our GC recently through counsular processing.

After i came here i got laid off. I was working with indian
body shopper.

My wife is still in india and expected to come in july end.

My question is can i file for New Jersy Unemployement insurance?

If i will file unemployment will there be any
bad impact?
Will ins question my wife when she comes?

Pleas help!!!