Layed off on 172nd day

Seattle2001

Hi all,
Need an advise about my case.
Last week I was informed that I am being layed off. I have one week paid leave and two weeks of notice period. Put toghther I will be completing 172 days from the RD of 485. I was also informed that unpaid leave cannot be allowed at this point and they have no plans to withdraw my AOS application immidiately.

How safe is my I-485 case ? Do I have a fighting chance to keep the case alive ?

Thanks for your advices in advance.

AC-21

You should not have a problem, but you should find a similar job very soon because if you get an RFE/interview and you do not have a job, then your 485 could be jeopardized.

If your case is straightforward, you may not run into RFE etc. but you should get a good separation letter from your current employer nevertheless.

Good luck.

What is a good separation letter?

- what should it mention, in the case of an employee laid off after 180 days. or someone who resigns after 180 days?

Get a letter dated the day you were laid off...saying

Mr X is working with Company Y since mm-dd-yy as a with a salary of $xxxxx.
It is relly good that the company is not withdrawing the 485 or a i-140 ( ensure that ) , also ensure that you get all the documents from you personal file photocopied, make sure your / compay\'s lawyer is also sympathetic to your case.
You have an excellent chance of getting 485 approved..dont worry start searching for a new job asap. also is your H1 getting withdrawn ?

Great News

I was expecting the lay off letter last week and it was less than 180 days on 485. Fortunately got a consulting assignment on a project on Thursday and started off immediately. There will not be a lay off atleast till end of this project.

Looks like a 4-5 month project and hope it will take me through the tough times.

Thanks for your responses.