Latest news on fingerprints

shamshon

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone
I was wondering if anyone got a fingerprint notice from INS as of late. I got mine finally and I am supposed to go to a local office next month to get it done. Does someone have an idea how close I am to getting my long awaited green card? This whole process took me 10 years, I swear! I want to mention the fact that the AILA suitcase against INS, which accused the INS of failing to distribute the 10000 visas to asylee, is starting to ripe its fruits. :p

shamshon

Could you please let us know the following?
When was your asylum approved?
When was your I-485 filed?
Did you receive any receipt from INS acknowledging reception of your applcation? If so, what is the date of this receipt?
This information is important not only for the rest of us but also to figure how close you might be to complete the process.
Thanks a lot and congratulations!!

October 12th

hi alan
I was granted asylum on september 97. I applied for I-485 adjustment of status on october 1st, 1998. my receipt notice was dated october 12th, 1998. I have not heard anything from the INS in the last 4 years until I finally got a fingerprint notice in the begining of this month. I am supposed to get it done on october 15th this year. My questions are: am I supposed to be interviewed? Also, how longer should I wait to get my green card? By the way, thanks for congratulating me :)

Shamshon

Hi,

Coincidently my dates are similar to yours. Granted in August 97, filed I-485 in September 98, and receipt date October 98. I went to the support office on September 13, 2002 for FP.
As you, the FP notification was the first notice I heard from INS since I filed I-485.
As for your questions, I believe we are getting closer to the end of the tunnel. I do not think we are going to be interviewed. As per the new adjudication procedure, only 2% of the applicants are supposed to be interviewed.
As mentioned in other discussions, I believe nobody of us knows how long it is going to take from here. This is a new procedure INS is following to adjudicate GC to asylees, and experiences posted by others don't necessarily apply to us.
I believe that after FP clearance by FBI, the next step is the approval and INS notification for passport stamping or maybe a request for further information like photographs or medical exams for certain persons maybe, but not sure really.
So, we have to wait some more time and look after news in our mailbox. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey allan,
read the following new memo
http://www.elirich.com/sept12.pdf
also i have a friend who said that he new some ppl got their GC backdated more than only one year, infact they immediatly applied for naturalization? any comment on this?

Siddig

Yes, I had read that memo. As for the backdating, it is only one year for asylees. It seems to me that for certain people like cubans the time for naturalization counts since they arrived (or a year after) and it is also the same for refugees I believe, but not sure. Maybe Gilbert or somebody else can clarify this.
The bottom line is that asylees are backdated only one year and, as far as I know, that hasn't changed.
Regards

Alanpero,

You are right. The refugee green cards are backdated to the date of their arrival in the United States.

There are also obscure provisions dealing with some parolees who came here at the late 1980s and have not secured permanent status. They can apply for citizenship right after getting their green cards.

For us, the wait for the blue American passport is four years, period.

Comgratulations Gilbert

If I recall well your received and notice dates are also September and October 1998, right?

FP

Yes, Alan. It has been over four years since I applied. My hope is that I will receive my approval before this Christmas. Keep my fingers crossed.

gilbert or allan,
thx alot guys for your great contribution to this forum,
I asked this question before but no one gave me an answer,
what is the more important date? is it the notice date or the recieve date.
my rd is july 99 and nd september 99
thx

FBI phone number

For those people that have received FP notice, this is the FBI phone number to check status of your FP: (304)625-5590.
Press 4 to talk to somebody, have your A # handy.

hello shamshon!
I spent allready 10,5 years on this process.
I was granted asylum in May 1997 , applyed on GC in August 1998 (RD august 17 and notice date September25).I was fingerprinted March21 of 2001 ....and I am still wayting for the interview. I have not heard from INS since then. Maybe this coming year?

I have got my fingerprints today.
Service by INS was excelent - no lines, it was done right away when I came and filled the application they gave me.
For my question, they told me GC has to come from 3 to 5 month from here. Medical exam note, they told, has to be mailed to me within 3 month. It is the info I have got from them, but I do not know how much it is true, because they just gave me general info
not asking about the kind of case I have (asylum status).

Hi Irina,
I read in www.immigrationlinks.com that the INS is planning to process pending application to adjust to permanant residency for asylee up to feb. 1, 1999. I hope this make you feel better but I know it is frustrating.

hello shamshon! thank you for your replay. It has been more than 1,5 years for my fingerprints and 4 years for mt RD in NSC. I hope maybe this comming year I will hear from them...