Last Name issue for travel to India

casper1972

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My wife and me are permanent residents since a few months now and have the physical cards.

My question is as follows:

My wife is European and I am from India. In couple of months we are visiting India.

Before marriage, her last name was different. On GC, her last name is my last name.

Her passport is with her last name. So we had to get the ticket with her last name. Since ticket follows the name on the passport.

I am not sure what is the name on the visa that needs to be applied with.

Is it ok to apply for visa with her new last name and carry the marriage certificate from USA which states her old name. I know that visa has to follow the present last name.

Any suggestions

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Casper :)

Even I had similar issue. My last name on my H1 is different from the passport. I had no problem travelling to India. All I did was booked the tickets with the name similar to the one in the passport, and carried my H1B, marriage certificate and name change document. They never asked about the H1 stamping name and passport name even thou they are different. I just carried these documents just in case. Have a wonderful trip!

thats heartening

Thanks for your input and feedback.

I dont have any name change document. All we have is marriage certificate and her passport. On the visa form it does have a place to mention her maiden name. There is nothing much I can think of other than to apply for her visa by her new last name and carry the marriage certificate.

i will let u guy know how it goes.

thanks again

Casper