Laidoff in less than 180 days

mygcrequired

Registered Users (C)
I got laid off 5 months into my 485 filing and have my EAD & AP. My H1 expires in a few months. I will be paid every two weeks atleast for the next month which will cover the 180 day period.

My first questions is that Is it legal for me to find a job and work
for a new company after 6 months of my 485 filing- In other words, can I use the 180 day rule?

The other questions I have are-
1. Can I work anywhere in the country?
2. Does the job title have to match or is it okay that most of the description matches the one in my LC?

I filed in Texas and it will be a looooooooooooooooooong time before I even get Finger Printed. Should I let INS know when I join my new job and should I file a change of address? My present lawyer had advised me not to change address even if i moved to a different jurisdiction as it added more confusion and delay.

Thanks in Advance.............:confused:

Hope this helps

I got laid off 5 months into my 485 filing
-- Sorry about that

and have my EAD & AP.
-- This is the silver lining

My H1 expires in a few months. I will be paid every two weeks atleast for the next month which will cover the 180 day period.
-- Thank you employer for this.

My first questions is that Is it legal for me to find a job and work
for a new company after 6 months of my 485 filing- In other words, can I use the 180 day rule?
-- You have a legal status, which is your AOS(I-485) so no worries about your status.
-- You have your EAD which authorizes you to work anywhere in the US for the period mentioned in the card. You might want to renew it if your AOS takes little longer to adjudicate.

The other questions I have are-
1. Can I work anywhere in the country? -- Yes you can EAD is just for that, while your AOS is pending.

2. Does the job title have to match or is it okay that most of the description matches the one in my LC? -- It would be good if the title matches, more important is your work description pay attention to that.

I filed in Texas and it will be a looooooooooooooooooong time before I even get Finger Printed. Should I let INS know when I join my new job and should I file a change of address? My present lawyer had advised me not to change address even if i moved to a different jurisdiction as it added more confusion and delay
-- Generally go with what your attorney says. They know the law better (though not always)

All the best, hope my answers help.

Balamani