Laid off/severance time period

nir153

Hello,
I got laid off today and my working last day is today and company will give me severance pay for next 3 months.so what is the h1 status from tomorrow? or my status will be change/expired after 3 months?
so please advise me ASAP for this kind of situation?

You are out of status immediately upon termination of your employment. Severance has no bearing on it. The proper thing to do is exit the US immediately and reenter only when you have an approval notice from a new employer. It MAY be possible to find a new employer with in the next few weeks and be granted an approval with I-94 attached; it is also possible that a new approval be given with consular processing only.

Also, expect your former employer to apply to revoke his petition for you.

Thanks for reply...
As Company will give me 3 months full pay in severance time.So what does that means? Is it not means my status will still active 3 months?

Sine the company is giving you three months severance pay, go and talk to the HR and request them to postpone your termination for three months. Often many companies, as far as i know understand the situation, and postpone the termination for a few weeks since they got nothing to loose.

It is improper to treat OP differently because of his visa status. It is likely the severance payment was specified in some formal action and the company is legally required to pay it based on the termination date. The suggestion that a company lie to US immigration and jeopardize their relationship with that governmental agency is just plain stupid. Not only is OP terminated but that should have been promptly reported to immigration.