Laid off after I-140 approved and I am in the last year of H1 B

dineshj

Hi
I was laid off on Friday by my employer. I had recently received my I-140 approval and I am currently in the last year of my H1 B visa, i.e. in Dec 2010 my H1 B is going to expire.

I will be on the company's payroll until the end of April 2010 and then my severance package would start. I believe until April 2010 i will be on H1 B status.

Please help me in understanding the following
1) Would any company be willing to sponsor my H1 B as i am in the last year of H1 B?
2) Would I be able to transfer my I-140? I believe the company which is going to do my H1 B transfer will have to file for my GC and i need to clear my Labour only then the I-140 priority date with prior employer can be transferred to the new one. I think i do not have that much time as i have only 8 months left on H1 B.
3) Would i be eligible for H1 B 3 year extension, as my I-140 has been approved recently? If yes, who needs to apply for my extension?

Any suggestions as well are welcome. Kindly respond to my questions.

Regards
Dinesh

Hi

One of my friends had the same problem and his situation was even worse since he had only 4.5 months left. He got his H1 transferred to my employer and he got his H1 approved and he got a 3 year extension with his old I-140. You need to have your reciept number for the I-140 already approved. And then they filed a labor for him and once that is approved his I-140 was filed and the earlier priority dates were ported to the new I-140. If you want to do it with a good company email me at sdhrpplpt@gmail.com because i have been working with my employer for the last 7 years and i referred 8 people till date and nobody had any immigration problems.

I can refer you to my current employer. If you are interested send me an email.