Labor substitution ban rule got clearance from OMB

voldemarv

Registered Users (C)
Good news. Labor substitution ban rule got clearance from OMB http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eoPackageMain
Select Department of labor in Completed in last 30 days.

AGENCY: DOL-ETA RIN: 1205-AB42
TITLE: Labor Certification for the Permanent Employment of Aliens in the United States; Reducing the Incentives and Opportunities for Fraud and Abuse and Enhancing Program Integrity
STAGE: Final Rule ECONOMICALLY SIGNIFICANT: No
RECEIVED DATE: 01/26/2007 LEGAL DEADLINE: None
** COMPLETED: 04/27/2007 COMPLETED ACTION: Consistent with Change

Great ..

Good news. Labor substitution ban rule got clearance from OMB http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eoPackageMain

TITLE: Labor Certification for the Permanent Employment of Aliens in the United States; Reducing the Incentives and Opportunities for Fraud and Abuse and Enhancing Program Integrity

voldemarv,

This is good news. It will go a long way to ending the black market of sub labors.

cheers,

saras

Finally

I hope it will also help with PD retrogression.

Gurus, any thought on that ?

ban on labor substitution effective date

hi,
can u plz tell me the ban on labor substitution will be effective immediately or there is some time frame to apply for substituted labor.

labor substitution

so if i wanna file for labor substitution within next 10 days, it would be fine or not.

hi,
can u plz tell me the ban on labor substitution will be effective immediately or there is some time frame to apply for substituted labor.

I am sick and tired of this....they publish these rules as if they are getting enacted tomorrow....I am sure this bill has a long way to go....

From last year, I remember this ban of substitute labor got enacted and requested folks to provide feedback for 60 days....after the feedback there was a big lull...quiet period...and somebody said the bill was not enacted HEE HEE...how funny?

I think the same thing will happen this year, I will put my stakes on it...once it's published for 60 day comment...until then....I would say - disregard it (as in last year!!)...

I am sick and tired of this....they publish these rules as if they are getting enacted tomorrow....I am sure this bill has a long way to go....
You are wrong. First it's not a bill - it's a rule. It's just like things work here. Last year it was proposed rule and comment period. This year it's final rule and comment period is over, OMB approved it, the last step - publish rule in Federal Register.

This probably also means the 45-day deadline for filing the I-140 after the labor is approved will also take effect. Good thing I am long past that stage, because lots of people are about to get screwed by that rule if they work for a big bureacratic company (my company of tens of thousands of employees filed mine 5 months after the labor approval), or the DOL eats up most or all of the 45 days by mailing out the labor certification approval weeks after the approval date.

I think there are still some loop holes for labor substitution in this new rule. :mad: :mad: :mad: Following is what I saw on immigration-law.com.

DL

04/29/2007: Elimination of Substitution of Aliens for the Certified Labor Certification Applications

As we stated earlier, the OMB had 90 days to make a decision on this DOL Final Rule. It was submitted on 01/26/2007 and the OMB cleared on 04/27/2007, just immediately prior to expiration of 90 days.
This final rule will not go into effect until it is published by the DOL in the federal register. Record reflects that this final rule will not be published in the federal register, Monday, 04/30/2007. We have yet to see what changes to the proposed version of the rule the DOL made in the final rule. However, it is certain that this rule will not go into effect on Monday, 04/30/2007, and there may still be some actions the employers can make before it is published in the federal register.
Pending Labor Certification Cases: PERM rule does not allow any amendments and no substitution of alien beneficiary available until the PERM application is certified. By the time PERM is approved, it may be too late to initiate the substitution. However, the cases which are pending at the BECs are different. The beneficiaries can be substituted inasmuch as the job order and the BEC supervised recruitment has yet to be initiated. At this time, the amendment of the BEC application does not require a paper request and e-mail or even phone call request followed by fax will work to substitute the alien. Under the final rule which will go into effect soon, the labor certification applications at the stage of DOL can survive only if the substitution has been approved at the time of release of the final rule. Accordingly, the employers can contact the BECs tomorrow, Monday, to amend the pending ETA 705 and alien beneficiary over the phone, via e-mail, followed by the phone calls and fax or straightforwardedly via fax. CAVEAT: If substitution is denied and original beneficiary ETA 750 is denied for the reason that there is no beneficiary, the employer can lose everything!!
Certified Labor Certification Cases: These cases will not be able to survive unless the I-140 petition is quickly filed on Monday substituting the alien beneficiary. The earliest filing date will be "Tuesday" since overnight delivery has to reach the Service Centers. Still worth trying. Once it is "filed," it will be safe. There remain a host of issues which will have to be resolved by the USCIS as to the consequences of the denial of these substitution I-140 petitions on issues other than alien beneficiaries qualifications such as the employer's financial ability to pay the proffered wage, etc. Obviously, the denial becomes a "final" action if the denial is either not appealed or if appealed, AAO sustains the agency's denial. However, the cases on appeal to the AAO will continue to remain outside the parameter of the elimination rule. Another question is the effect of motion to reopen of denial of substitution I-140 petitions. There is some chance that the USCIS may decide that once the motion is granted and I-140 petition is approved, the DOL's final rule of elimination of substitution will not affect the case. What if the employer refiles the substitution I-140 petitions? The chances of these cases will remail slim or nil. Since it will be considred a "new" filing of substitution I-140 petition, the USCIS may rule that such filing will be subject to the DOL's substitution elimination final rule. There will be other issues which fall under the jurisdiction of the USCIS rather than DOL as related to the interpretation of the substitution I-140 petitions. The USCIS is scheduled to initiate this rule making process sooner or later. Please stay tuned.
Impact on the Retention of Priority Date: The rule of retention of priority date is governed not by the DOL but by the USCIS. Under the USCIS rule, the priority date of the labor certification application is not retained until I-140 petition is "approved." Accordingly, if the decision of the denial of the substitution I-140 becomes final on appeal, the substituting alien will not be able to retain the priority. Neither the original beneficiary can retain the priority date unless the alien beneficiary substition I-140 petition was filed after the I-140 had been approved for the original beneficiary.
Impact on the 7th-Year H-1B Extension: Until the substitution I-140 is denied and becomes final on appeal, the substitutiing alien will be able to continuously extend the H-1B status in one-year increment, but the substituted alien will not be able to extend the 7th-year H-1B status based on the substituted labor certification application. Once the decision of denial becomes final, the substituting alien will not be able to extend the H-1B status after that time, but the validity of the approved 7th-year H-1B status will remain valid until the expiration date.
Impact on the 245(i) Benefits: Grandfathering of the 245(i) benefits cannot be transferred to other aliens and substituting aliens cannot take over the 245(i) benefits unless the substitution was filed before April 30, 2001. Once the grandfathering is attached, it remains valid unless "not approveable at the time of labor certification application filing" is found. Accordingly, the denial of substitution I-140 petition on behalf of the substituting alien will have no affect on the original beneficiary's retention of the 245(i) benefits.
Well, let's wait and see the text of the soon-to-be published final rule.

Besides the current year; there was close to 450,000 greencards approved in last two years.
October 2005 (with the biggest retrogression in history) is the relevant starting point. Not two years ago when carryover numbers were still available.

How many do you think were labor substitution?
Enough to make USCIS want to ban it, and to want to go overboard and implement a 45-day rule for filing the I-140.

I'll ask that question the other way around. How many of the EB green cards approved since October 2005 were for people who did NOT labor substitute? Do you really think there were that many people who have stuck with the process since 1998-2001 and still not received a green card as of Oct. 2005 ... enough to make up 90% or more of EB3?

I don't know why you guys think that this is the be all end all to end retrogression.
It actually won't make any dent whatsoever.
It's not the be all end all, but it will make a big dent.

No and Yes. I have my doubts about large scale impacts.

One thing which this will do is to put an end to sale of these Labors. One of my friend was willing to pay 30K for something like this. Both buyer and seller are guilty parties and others in the queue suffer.

For retrogression I believe those Non RIR cases which are coming off now from BEC would be the last big chunk left. How many were going to be substitute labor is difficult to answer.

At the same time even if this helps in 10 labor not be used it could eventaually help in 21 visas saved for India. So it helps but will this be enough to push dates forward is not an easy question to answer as we have no data to make any reasonable judgement.

I hope it will also help with PD retrogression.

Gurus, any thought on that ?

45 days is the key point

It does not matter how many people were approved based on substituted labors.

The most imporant is that USCIS was under impression that there are a lot of approved LC (especially in consulting companies) which potentially can be used for substitution and in any moment can clog the system.

And LC subs was one of the factors which they consider to release each month new visa bulletin based on "anticipated demand".

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides the current year; there was close to 450,000 greencards approved in last two years.

How many do you think were labor substitution?

I don't know why you guys think that this is the be all end all to end retrogression.
It actually won't make any dent whatsoever.

don't know about 450,000. I would consider only 2,800 per year and would definitely bet that there would be atleast 300 substituted cases per category; this is a big percentage. does not end retrogression but retrogressed countries cannot work with substitutions at the sametime.

My take ..

October 2005 (with the biggest retrogression in history) is the relevant starting point. Not two years ago when carryover numbers were still available.

Enough to make USCIS want to ban it, and to want to go overboard and implement a 45-day rule for filing the I-140.

I'll ask that question the other way around. How many of the EB green cards approved since October 2005 were for people who did NOT labor substitute? Do you really think there were that many people who have stuck with the process since 1998-2001 and still not received a green card as of Oct. 2005 ... enough to make up 90% or more of EB3?

It's not the be all end all, but it will make a big dent.

jack,

I believe most (95%) people who have/had an original PD (non sub) from 98-2001 have already been approved. I am pretty confident that people who have gotten approved in the EB3 category since retro has hit are primarily 245is or labor subs. 90% of the people I know or have known over the past 6-7 years with PDs from 98-2001 have had their GCs for almost 3 years now. Basically those that were fortunate enough to have their labors approved prior to being transferred to the BECs got approved between 2003-2004 and early 2005. Now the update from Murthy is stating that the oldest cases the BECs has (2001-2002) have mostly been approved and a lot of them are being abandoned. I am sure a lot of them have already been substituted. A ban on labor sub will eliminate the any surge from BECs.

People like me who have an original labor from 2001 got stuck because of USCIS mistakes or namecheck issues.

Personally I am totally against labor subs because it is a loop hole that is being wrongly exploited by to many people. The intent of the law may have been good but a lot of IT consulting companies made it a source of revenue

This whole change in the immigration process is very coordinated. The past two years have seen the entire system being revamped. Bi-specilization of service centers, PERM, premium processing of 140, reduction of backlogs and now finally labor sub bad has come into being due to the reduction in processing pressure over the past two years. That is my thought.

cheers,

saras

Just my personal opinion, since I mainly deal with the IT companies...

Labor substitution mainly is an issue confined to those companies and Indian nationals. It doesn't impact eb1 and ROW people generally are not IT people, ....

There may be a chance that employees are cornered as their alternatives are limited to leave but this is already the situation in severe retrogression. A good employee with US experience or US education is opted with opportunities in India more than getting a sub labor now a days. Most people going for sub labor are those who are willing to pay for it, work freely for it, work during vacation/maternity leave for free... Also, even though row is retrogressed, it is moving somewhere where as India categories are not;there is a difference. LC sub ban will certainly be better when working with country quotas.

"Certified Labor Certification Cases: These cases will not be able to survive unless the I-140 petition is quickly filed on Monday substituting the alien beneficiary. The earliest filing date will be "Tuesday" since overnight delivery has to reach the Service Centers. Still worth trying. Once it is "filed," it will be safe"

I am new to this forum. I had a look at this note. My comp applied for labor cert in 2004 which got cleared in Jan 2007 from BEC. I am yet to file I-140 as I am collecting my old employer letters which I would do by 1st week for May. The new rule gives employers 45 day time to file I-140 after the effective date of the rule, for old labor certs. This is what i read for the DOL website. Find below the section I am mentioning.

http://www.dol.gov/eta/regs/fedreg/proposed/2006001248.htm

http://frwebgate1.access.gpo.gov/cg...docID=909246504953+17+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

"For those labor certifications granted before
the effective date of a final rule resulting from this NPRM, employers
would have 45 calendar days from a final rule's effective date to file
the labor certification in support of a petition with DHS. These
expiration provisions are proposed to apply whether the application was
filed under the regulation effective March 28, 2005, or any prior
regulation."

So if this is the case and the rule becomes effective by May1, I should have time till Jun 15 to file I -140 right?Correct me if I am wrong

Just my personal opinion, since I mainly deal with the IT companies...

(ignore priority date retention on revoked 140's; I have come across an attorney who tried to do priority date transfer on revoked 140; and uscis came back and said that it was revoked and no priority date was conferred so no priority date transfer).

Is that right ? Can they do it ? I thought there was a rule which says it does nto matter if I-140 is revoked, PD belongs to alien after he gets his I-140 approved. :(

It is classic case of people reading what they want to read.

law says what it says; once 140 is revoked, priority date is gone.

you will see wishy washy answers from other lawyers regarding this.

anyone who says you still retain the priority date; ask them who they know has gotten a greencard approved by using old priority date on a revoked i-140?

Thank you, UN.

Is it legal for the first company to keep I-140 even after an employee joins other company ? (I know this is risky and but just looking for an option)
What are the factors which may drive a company to revoke I-140 once employee leaves the company ?