L2-visa expiring due to passport validity

canadianinsouth

Hi,
I am a Canadian citizen , currently on an L1-A visa in US which is valid until Aug 2021

However my kids who are on L-2 visa were granted visa only until July 2020, based on their passport validity dates. They have received the new passport

What is the process of getting their visa extended and align with my visa validity date which is Aug 2021? please advise

Canadian citizens do not get US "visas" (and visa validity is not related to passport validity). What you mean is that the L2 status granted on their I-94 at entry expires when their passport expires. There are two solutions for them to continue to be in status: 1) Leave the US and re-enter (on their new passport and a copy of your L1 petition), or 2) File I-539 for Extension of Status, which costs $455 each.

Thanks for your reply

Does this mean that we need to make a trip across the border for the kids to remain in status ? If we don’t do that, will they be deemed out of the status even though the petition is valid until Aug 2021

The lead time for I-539 is roughly around 6 months and hence not considering that as an option

Thanks for your reply

Does this mean that we need to make a trip across the border for the kids to remain in status ? If we don’t do that, will they be deemed out of the status even though the petition is valid until Aug 2021
yes

The lead time for I-539 is roughly around 6 months and hence not considering that as an option
But as long as it's filed before their status expires, they can stay in the US for as long as it is pending. The main disadvantage is the expense.

Are you close (day trip, driving distance) to a POE?
It is common for people living in Southern California to drive to the San Ysidro POE, Ped West CBP facility, to obtain a new I-94 when you obtain a new passport. Bring your original L1 approval notice (I-797b?) and you children with new passports and you pay $6 cash for each new I-94 card. The new expiry will match your L1 expiry Aug 2021.
You can park in the Shopping Mall (Las Americas Premium Outlets) or in paid parking lots on US side of border and walk to PedWest facility. (check out google maps, satellite view and street view)
But it can be any land border POE in Canadian or Mexican border.

Thanks for your reply
Does this POE location has to be outside US? I stay in Atlanta and on USCIS Website , I see couple of PoE near Atlanta.. not sure if I can just go over there for stamping

Yes, the POE must be at an international land border or when flying into US.
Unfortunately you can not drive to the Atlanta Airport and go to their CPB to obtain new I-94 for you children.
It appears the Windsor / Detroit POE is the closest to Atlanta, GA. This would take about 11 hours driving, one way.

When I was investigating this a few years ago, I too was surprised you cannot go to nearest airport CBP office.