L1A Extension - Processing Times?

veryfrustrated

Registered Users (C)
Got original L1A for 1 year which expired end of Jan 2003. Applied for renewal (RD Jan 21 2003) to CSC.

Still not processed.

Notice of action says processing time is 30-60 days. CSC processing time report says they are currently processing RD of 07/09/03.

Yet when I call BCIS for status, I get different answers. Called a month ago and they said my case is taking longer than average so they'd request status update and I would get written status within 30 days. Have received nothing.

I called againg today and the guy initially said 30-60 day processing times but then said he could not initiate a status request as it is taking 7 MONTHS (!) for this case type. He says his computer will not allow him to do a status request until after Sep 17th!!!

Does anyone know how long these L1Aextensions are actually taking for processing? Does anyone have any experience with this they can share with me? Until I get this extension I am unable to travel which is a real problem.

Thanks in advance for your help!

REmember, all cases are different. Average processing times are just that AVERAGE, and your particular case may take much longer than the published average. I saw an H-1 extension take 10 months at CSC. They are not the most helpful service center either.

Your attorney can begin the process of getting assistance from AILA (assuming that you have an attorney who is a member) but that is also a long process since the AILA Liason will not get involved until certain requests have been made to CSC.

Originally posted by Jim Mills
REmember, all cases are different. Average processing times are just that AVERAGE, and your particular case may take much longer than the published average. I saw an H-1 extension take 10 months at CSC. They are not the most helpful service center either.

-- Yes but can the average change from 1 month to 7 from one breath to the next? That's what it seemed like when I was speaking with the BCIS Cust Svc person. He seemed very confused which did not help.

Your attorney can begin the process of getting assistance from AILA (assuming that you have an attorney who is a member) but that is also a long process since the AILA Liason will not get involved until certain requests have been made to CSC.

--I have lost confidence in my attorney and, for now at least, am doing this on my own. Former attorney never properly advised me of options (like I could have had this processed instantly at a port of entry). I also found out he submitted most of our petitions without proper evidence which has undoubtedly contributed to the delays and the onerous RFEs we've received.

He even lied to me about responding to RFEs which he had not. For these headaches he collected quite exorbitant fees - in advance! - and then wanted even more to respond to the RFE's. Based on what I now know and the issues we've had, I think his handling of our cases (at least) borders on malpractice.

So I am trying to get everything back on track myself. What other requests can I make of the CSC to get some positive movement on this case?

I also contacted AILA for assistance as the former lawyer was a member. I wanted to know if/how they help people in my situation. They never responed to my email. Does AILA provide help to individuals either for following up on lengthy processing or for abritrating complaints about its members?

Sorry about the rant. I appreciate your help Jim. Thanks!

Hi:
Thanks for responding. I am glad to hear I am not alone in this long processing wait time. I am still worried though.

Can you share some details of your situation with me?
1) Did you get a request for evidence and if so what did they ask for?
2) What type of work do you do?
3) Did your L1 visa expire during your wait for approval and if so how did you handle travel issues?
4) Do you have a spouse and did you go thru the work permit stuff for him/her?

If you like you can email me directly about this ... Thanks so much!