L1 Visa Extension

Mr.himdesai

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

My L1 visa is expiring on aug-2009. Can I get my L1 extension from US or I need to leave US? I have still 2 years extension.

Thanks in advance,
Him

Hi Him,
I have a similar situation as you have. I think this post and the answers to it can benefit both you and me in this regard.

I am on L1B visa here @USA. My employer is a 'big' company with 6000+ employees worldwide - and has a quite big brand name in the global software industry market. This is my situation here:
1) My I-94 expired on 11 Sep 2008.
2) My passport will expire on 9th November 2008.
3) I already have a new passport this year - issued from indian consulate @New York.
4) My employer had filed for an extension and it came back with RFE - and they have very recently sent the response again. I am told that till the response comes back - my status is legal to work here in USA.

Question is:
If this extension gets denied (which I think we can come to know in a couple of months down the line from now) - can we go to the Bahamas and do a L1B visa extension there - as a fresh petition / application? If we can - what is the process for that. Is it same as the procedures which we need to follow in India (like book appointment and then go for Visa stamping, etc.). Any suggestions / pointers on this would be of immense help.

Hi All,

My L1 visa is expiring on aug-2009. Can I get my L1 extension from US or I need to leave US? I have still 2 years extension.

Thanks in advance,
Him

Filing an extension and subsequent stamping is two different processes.
If your I-94 also expires in August 2009,

1. You do not have to leave the U.S. to file an extension with USCIS.
2. You need to leave the U.S. to do a new L-1 visa stamping.

Hi Him,
I have a similar situation as you have. I think this post and the answers to it can benefit both you and me in this regard.

I am on L1B visa here @USA. My employer is a 'big' company with 6000+ employees worldwide - and has a quite big brand name in the global software industry market. This is my situation here:
1) My I-94 expired on 11 Sep 2008.
2) My passport will expire on 9th November 2008.
3) I already have a new passport this year - issued from indian consulate @New York.
4) My employer had filed for an extension and it came back with RFE - and they have very recently sent the response again. I am told that till the response comes back - my status is legal to work here in USA.

Question is:
If this extension gets denied (which I think we can come to know in a couple of months down the line from now) - can we go to the Bahamas and do a L1B visa extension there - as a fresh petition / application? If we can - what is the process for that. Is it same as the procedures which we need to follow in India (like book appointment and then go for Visa stamping, etc.). Any suggestions / pointers on this would be of immense help.

It's a same process no matter where you are, but if your current L-1B extension gets denied, filing a new but same L-1 petition won't help. It doesn't matter how big your employer is if the reason for the RFE was about your individual qualification as a specialized knowledge employee.

Hi,

I'm currently in US on L1B Visa (Company Transfer).

My L1B is valid till Apr 2010.

Issue
I came in US in FEB 2008 and my passport was expiring in Oct 2008, so the immigration officer gave me I-94 validity till Oct 2008.

In Aug, I went to Deferral Inspection Department (CBP) in Miami for I-94 renewal but they denied and suggested me to leave country and come back again.
But my company filed a L1 extn requesting validity till Apr 2011 in process to renew my expiring I-94. In Dec 2008, my company recieved a RFE on L1 extn (I don't know the RFE contents and questions). My company replied to RFE on Jan 08, 2009.
On 09-Feb-2009, I recieved an email from USCIS that my L1 extn has been denied. My company has not recieved the official notice yet.

As a safety plan, my company is asking me to go to Bahamas and come back , thinking I will get a new I-94 valid till Apr 2010. But they say that there is a theoretical risk that , I may not be allowed to enter in US.

If anyone can help me suggesting the valid legal options I have so that I can stay in US. Thanks in Advance !!