L1 to H1

nishim

Hi,I have L1 visa and currently residing in US with company A.MY L1 gets expired in april 2009.Now with company B i am filing my H1.If my H1 gets approved will my L1 be cancelled?But since have signed a bond with company A i have to work with them till april 2009.Is that possible that though my H1 is approved ,i can work on L1.so after april2009 i would like to shift to company B.Is that possible that i have two valid visa status L1 and H1.?

I came into US on L1 and then shifted to H1. Is my L1 stay counted toward my H1 stay ? In other words If I stayed in US on L1 for 1 year does that mean I can stay on H1 for only 5 more years ?

Hi! Just to clarify.... Is it correct to say that a person cannot have L1 and H1b at the same time? When the change in status takes place on Oct 1, would one need to decide to hold onto either the L1 or the H1? If so, by when would the H1 need to be cancelled if a person decides to stick with the L1

No matter what anyone says, the law is still unclear on this item. If you go by the so-called "last action rule", the most recent action taken by USCIS on your profile governs your status. However, there seems to be opinion of senior officials (I saw an official's name quoted in a different site) that both petitions continue to be valid if the L-1B employer did not revoke the petition.

It is best to gather accurate information from an attorney. I dont intend to advocate having an opinion from an Attorney and you might think that it involves money, but it pays off the end.

L-1 to H-1B change of status (actually it is a brand new H-1, because change of status from L-1 to H-1 is disallowed) is something that is a grey area