L1 to H1 and then Green Card

anshul

Registered Users (C)
I have been in US on a L1 visa for 4 years and 6 months now. The company I work with do not sponser green cards. So far I was inclined on going back to India after my 7 years on L1 are over. Now I have changed my mind and am looking at varoius options of getting a Green Card. I will have to change the employeer ...

1. The most likely choice will be to get a new job and transfer to H1 ? Can this be done L1 to H1 , if a get a job and an employeer ready to sponser H1 ?

2. Will H1 Quota apply to me ... as I am already in US ( on L1) ?

3. Will I have to get H1 stamped after joining the new company (on h1 receit) and getting the H1 approval ? Can it be done here in US or will I have to go back to my native country for it (India)? Can this be done in Canada ?

4. Once I am on H1 can I stay for another 6 years ( limit for H1) ? Or will my time spent in US so far counts towards that ?

5. If 6 years limit apply, do I have enough time to get into status where I can apply for H1B extension, beyond 6 years ?

6. While I am on L1, can a second company which I do not work for apply Labor for me as a future employee ? Saw some posts and there seems to be a provision like that. At what stage do I HAVE to join that new company ?
Can I travel to India in L1 status while this labor is panding ?

Please... If someone have been in same situation and have tried something similar.. please share your experience... Or if you think you have answers to one or more questions above...

Thanks