• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

keeping a green card

Idiot

Registered Users (C)
Hi

I am a DV2007 winner but i am not sure weather i should take up my green card just yet. I was hoping if you could answer a few questions for me.

Firstly my background, im in my early twenties and when i applied last year i was completely unsure what i would be doing after college so i thought i would apply for this to keep my options open, besides i never thought id actually win.

In the mean time i had made plans to work here for how long yet i dont know. This is what i want to do now in the short term but i also dont want to miss this oppertunity to get a green card, i know i have been so bloody lucky.

If i receive the green card i have to travel to the states within 6 months register with them over there then they send the card to my address in the states. How long will i actually have to spend in the states once they have seen i have entered the first time? I will prob get them to mail it to a friends address so i dont have to hang around too long and able to get back to my job.

I hear they are getting very strict on how long you can be out of the country before you loose your card? How long can you be away? and is it enough just to go there for a few days/weeks every year or two?

I would really appreciate your help advice and experiance. I apologise if this email sounds bad i know how lucky i have gotten and that many ppl would give thier right arm for this chance. I dont want to lose this oppertunity but i am not ready to move there permently just yet as circumstances have changed since i applied.

Kind Regards

You are an idiot

that's for sure. Can I just write you how much you and all the other GC winner annoy me by playing the lottery without having any desire to actually move to the US. There are thousand of people in the US that are in their last year of their H-1B or other visa categories, that have family and children that are even US citizen however they have no option/opportunity to stay. They may need to go back to a country that abuses human rights, is poor and has no job to offer. So and now there you are.... happened to play the lottery, congratulations by taking another immigration number from those that desperately need it. SHAME ON YOU, that's it , I'm sure I share this opinion with many other people in this forum

Idiot said:
Hi

I am a DV2007 winner but i am not sure weather i should take up my green card just yet. I was hoping if you could answer a few questions for me.

Firstly my background, im in my early twenties and when i applied last year i was completely unsure what i would be doing after college so i thought i would apply for this to keep my options open, besides i never thought id actually win.

In the mean time i had made plans to work here for how long yet i dont know. This is what i want to do now in the short term but i also dont want to miss this oppertunity to get a green card, i know i have been so bloody lucky.

If i receive the green card i have to travel to the states within 6 months register with them over there then they send the card to my address in the states. How long will i actually have to spend in the states once they have seen i have entered the first time? I will prob get them to mail it to a friends address so i dont have to hang around too long and able to get back to my job.

I hear they are getting very strict on how long you can be out of the country before you loose your card? How long can you be away? and is it enough just to go there for a few days/weeks every year or two?

I would really appreciate your help advice and experiance. I apologise if this email sounds bad i know how lucky i have gotten and that many ppl would give thier right arm for this chance. I dont want to lose this oppertunity but i am not ready to move there permently just yet as circumstances have changed since i applied.

Kind Regards

All the information you need is contained on the uscis.gov website. Here is a helpful link:
Now That You Are A Permanent Resident
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm

Thanks.

onfire said:
that's for sure. Can I just write you how much you and all the other GC winner annoy me by playing the lottery without having any desire to actually move to the US. There are thousand of people in the US that are in their last year of their H-1B or other visa categories, that have family and children that are even US citizen however they have no option/opportunity to stay. They may need to go back to a country that abuses human rights, is poor and has no job to offer. So and now there you are.... happened to play the lottery, congratulations by taking another immigration number from those that desperately need it. SHAME ON YOU, that's it , I'm sure I share this opinion with many other people in this forum

you are telling him Shame on you ..!!!!!! what are you saying??
The guy was in the college and havn't had any specific plans when he applied for the DV..........!!!People are always confused and worry about the future in this time and they don't know what they going to do after that (specially in the poor countries where the graduate from the best colleges may find nothing to do after graduation).

second of all that is the deal with the majority of people living outside the States and applying for the DV ....they just apply without specific clear plan... (that is because it's only lottery...you can't arrange your life and goals according to lottary)..they only have the intention to life in a free country that is full of opportunities......then many of them after winning may change his mind because of that their condition got improved in their homes or may be any other thing.

DV is not meant to be to the people live in the States only (H 1B...and other) it meant to be for the whole world.

The only motive behind your stupid reply to the guy is the envy and the inability to understand others condition.

onfire said:
I DO NOT SHARE YOU YOUR OPINION.... WHO ARE YOU TO SPEAK ON BEHAF OF US... HE HAS THE RIGHT TO PARTICIBATE ON DV PROGRAM AND IF HE WIVH TO CHANGE HIS MINE HE CAN DO SO ...WE CALL THIS DEMOCRACY MAN ...YOU SHOUD BE SUSPENDED FROM THIS FORUM... WE ARE HERE TO SUPPORT EACH OTHER NOT TO HERE YOUR ....... :mad:

Hi all

Thanks for your support and answers.

Steste thanks for the link there seems to be a bit of room for maneuver. Do you have any experience of people in my situation? As we all know there are rules and then there are "rules" even in these times of high security.

Stish and Y. M thanks for the defense i agree with what you guys say.

Onfire i do sympathize with your situation but you cant blame DV lottery winners for that and as others said you cant make life plans on a lottery and besides if i dont take up the GC it wont be lost someone else will get it thats the whole idea of selecting more people than there are visas available for.

Regards