K3 Visa Petition Extension Problem

Deutschette

Hello all, nice to meet you. I am an American, and I am currently living in Germany with my German husband. We married in the USA last October, and decided that we would like to give living in America a try.

So, we went through the first step and filed all of the necessary forms for the petition, which was approved. :D However, we've had a bit of a delay (okay, a huge delay) with the next step, and near the end of this month, our petition will expire. I notified the Consulate and requested an extension, but I haven't heard anything from them yet, which is a bit worrying.

I've looked all over the net to see if I can just simply refile in the case that it expires, but I'm not sure. I was also told that a petition can only be filed once every ten years. Is this true?? I would greatly appreciate anyone who is able to clear this up for us! :)

(On a side note, if anyone needs to know something about immigrating to Germany, I'm happy to help!)

If you are already Married you will file I-130, and he will enter US as a permanent resident after its approved and a Immigrant Visa issued in Germany, K3 is a non immigrant Fiance/e Visa for which you will not qualify now, There is no such thing as filing a petition once in 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
K3 is a non immigrant Fiance/e Visa for which you will not qualify now,
K3 is a spousal visa :)

Deutschette: Im assuming you mean that the 4 months you get between petition approval and interviewing at the consulate is close to being over?? If so, I 'think' you can request an extension at the consulate where your spouse's petition is at. I know with a K1 you can, and in most cases the consulate automatically extends it after the 4 months are up- I dont know how this transpires to a K3- Im sure someone will help clarify though if Im wrong (so please dont take my answer as fact).

Or do you mean the actual K3 visa has already been issued and is close to being expired? This is something I dont know the answer to.