K visa and DV

Aprodita

Hi all. I came to understand that a K1 category GC holder can apply for US citizenship after 3 years whereas DV lottery GC holder can apply the same after 5 years. So, if a GC holder through DV programme marries a US citizen will it affect negatively on the future process?

Eligibility for the 3-year rule does not depend on the category you immigrated in. What matters is that you have been a permanent resident for 3 year, you have been married to the same person for 3 years, and your spouse has been a US citizen for 3 years.

Thank you so much. I had both processes active and got the GC through DV lottery. We were worried whether this will reflect as an obvious intent to get the citizenship in a shorter period and wanted to know how to proceed without problems. Your answer helped us immensely.

Thank you so much. I had both processes active and got the GC through DV lottery. We were worried whether this will reflect as an obvious intent to get the citizenship in a shorter period and wanted to know how to proceed without problems. Your answer helped us immensely.
There is no problem using the shortest route available to you for becoming a citizen. The advantage of getting your green card through DV vs k1 is you get permanent residence as soon as you land and you don’t have to remove conditions.
You are not married yet, correct? It sounds like you will first become an LPR and marry after you land, so your 3 year citizenship clock will begin when you get married.

Thank you very much SusieQQQ. Yes, you are correct. Since all this is new with different processes and reading different regulations, I got confused. Grateful for the advice you have given on the way. Specially for the one, to request an "extension"!