Just Some Info good for every one on this board

Keerthi Raju

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

I am new to this board, but I want to share some important info regarding 485 filing.

Looks like many people on this board do not know this and are waiting for EAD and AP which they file along with their I485.

1. You don\'t have to file your EAD and AP applications along with your 485 application. Just file your 485 application after you receive the 485 receipt take that receipt along with 2 INS style photoes ( photoes only for AP you don\'t need photoes for EAD since INS takes care of EAD photoes ) and go to your local INS office under your jurisdiction which can issue EADs and APs. Not all local INS offices can Issue EADs so make sure what is the office which can issue EADs for your jurisdiction. Since I did it and almost all of my friends did it too, I am sure about this process. You can talk to your attorney also about this.

You have many advantages with this.
1. You can personally go to local INS office to get EAD and AP when you need them with your 485 receipt. You can get EAD and AP on the same day in a couple of hours. Make sure to take applicable fee for each in the form of MO or Cashier Check. If you need details of fee and application forms go to INS official web site.

2. If you have your own attorney ( company attorney also will charge extra but we don\'t care since company pays for it ) they will charge extra apart from fee to apply for EAD and AP which you can do it on your own.

3. If we follow this we will be saving Main INS service center\'s time, so that they can use this time to process 485 applications which local INS centers can not do.

I welcome any comments on this

Keerthi Raju

No Title

I wish it was as simple as that for me. My company attorney never filed for an EAD for me, 485 filed last year. I am in Seattle and my 485 is in VSC! I need an EAD, Seattle will not do it for me - they say they don\'t do EADs for employment based petitions. The only option appeared to be filing at VSC and waiting 60-90 days. Red tape is the worst killer.

The 765 form for EAD says you have to mail the application to the service center where 485 was filed.

Any ideas?

No Title

Warning! Cannot generalize. What works for you will not work
for others in a diffrent center. Each INS local center has
different rules.

No Title

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments. Here I am talking about mostly VSC. Let me give you an example. I am in NH, my local INS center Manchester does not process EAD applications but they do AP. Boston INS center can do EADs for NH so I went to Boston with 485 receipt and got EAD and AP with in an hour. Some of my friends filed their 485 applications at VSC, after that they were moved to some other location. Whenever they need to renew or apply for a new EAD they used to travel to Boston one day and get it done. I know you have to take one day off if you are living far away from your EAD issuing office, but I think this is better than waiting for EAD to come from VSC.

Hi baba yaga you are right it may not work for all centers, btw where do you live ( just give state name, not your full address )

Hi Virochan, try the way my friends did, if it works for you.

No Title

Keerthi,

Thank you for the information and I would like to ask you and other gurus some relevent questions:
(1) Which service center are your case at?
(2) How do I know if my local INS office can do EAD/AP only with 485 receipt? My small city does have a federal building. Is ususally the local INS office in the federal building?
(3) If my local office doesn\'t do it, can I go to other cities whose INS office can do?

Thanks

JimZ

No Title

Keerthi,

Can I only take a copy of I485 receipt with me when go to local office for immediate EAD/AP?

Thanks
JimZ

No Title

Hi JimZ,

My case is at Vermont service center. You can call your local INS office and find it out if they do EADs or not( I hope you will get this number easily not like INS Vermont where you need to keep dialing continuously at least for an hour )

I am sure there sould be an INS office other than your main service center to process EADs for your jurisdiction. So if your local INS office can not do your EAD, you can go to other office which can do EAD for your state.

I hope this helps.

Thanks
Keerthi Raju

No Title

Hi JimZ,

You need to have an original I485 receipt. I don\'t think copy will work, but find it out by calling your EAD issuing office.

No Title

Hi
I got my EAD from Boston office showing the copy of
I-485 receipt. Original was with lawyer as usual.

No Title

Yes, the original receipt is in the hand of the lawyer and I am not sure if I can get it because she is hired by my employer. But I will definetely try using copy first. Thank you all, Amal and Keerthi and I appreciate your information and advise.

JimZ

No Title

If Boston does it, I don\'t mind going there for a day (from Seattle!!). Or I could talk to Nebraska. I wonder if Boston will entertain me - my address will show up as Seattle. Besides I have already mailed the app to VSC, there could be consequences!

Thanks though, Keerthi!

No Title

Virochan, You might get your approval before the EAD :). I see more Sept 00 approvals. I guess INS is processing 485s between 7/99 - 10/00.

No Title

Well, well, let\'s not get our hopes high. There are people still waiting from 99! Yours might be here before mine!

No Title

What do u mean by this? You meant, we don\'t have to apply I-765, and just go to INS with 485 receipt and get the EAD??? Come on, man.
I never heard of it. The only thing I know, is you apply I-765 (EAD App) along with I485 or alone (doesn\'t matter) and wait for 90 days for the EAD, if you don\'t receive the EAD in 90 days , then go to local INS, and show the receipt (not just the 485, BUT I-765 RECEIPT too), then local INS can issue EAD right away. If this is what you mean (I don\'t think you got your sentences right in order.), then it is not new discovery buddy. If not let me know, I will be glad to know that, if it is legitmate and legal thing.

>>>> You don\'t have to file your EAD and AP applications along with your 485 application. Just file your 485 application after you receive the 485 receipt take that receipt along with 2 INS style photoes ( photoes only for AP you don\'t need photoes for EAD since INS takes care of EAD photoes ) and go to your local INS office under your jurisdiction which can issue EADs and APs. Not all local INS offices can Issue EADs so make sure what is the office which can issue EADs for your jurisdiction. Since I did it and almost all of my friends did it too, I am sure about this process. You can talk to your attorney also about this.

No Title

Well I agree VSC has improved, but Nov. 00 is still atleast 1.5-2 months away unless I am struck by luck. These days I need it very much :)

No Title

Milk,

I believe what Keerthi said is true because he and his friends had done that. But probably a lot of INS offices don\'t do that from time to time.

JimZ

No Title

Hi,
You are right it is possible at BOSTON.
Many of my friends too got EADs there within 30 minutes.

Unfortunately this does not work in other (most) centers.
There are very few centres do this. Only time they honor
your request is once you passed 90 days since you filed
your 485 then they will issue the EAD (some places interim).

No Title

Hi Milk,

If you read Application for Employment Authorisation material on Page 4 ( Rev 10/13/98 ) at the top it clearly says " File your EAD application with a copy of the receipt notice or other evidence that your I-485, Application for Permanent Residence, is pending. You may file Form I-765 together with your Form I-485".

I cannot type all the details you read page 5 also Buddy, it is legal and legitmate. You don\'t have to wait for 90 days, I don\'t find any 90days waiting thing on this material. I applied for EAD and AP on my own and almost 20 of my friends did same thing.

JimZ, as per this material looks like copy of the 485 receipt is fine for EAD.

Thanks
Keerthi Raju