Just Received the Green Card and need Guidance from GURUS

captainv1234

Registered Users (C)
I have just received the green card last week. I have couple of very simple questions, I will be very happy if someone can answer them.

1) I am planning to leave for my home country in about 2 weeks for a 5 week vacation. Do I need to only take my physical green card and passport with me ? Will they be enough for my reentry?

2) Do those kind of 1 month vacations dangerous such that I can loose my permanent resident status?

3) 1 year from now I will go to my home country for a 9 month period... However, I will come to US every 3 months and stay here like 2 weeks each time...

Does this have any consequences???
Do I have to take a Reentry Permit???
Will it be a problem at the border such that the officer takes my card and deletes my Permanent Resident Status???....

Just one more info... Even when I leave I will have by bank accounts and credit cards active and I may even have an apartment lease on my name although I may sublet it..

Thank you very much for your valuable responses in advance.

1. Yes, all you need is a passport and the GC. Actually, I think all you need to get back into the US is the GC, I don't believe you actually need a passport. But, you need to take the passport anyways to get into your home country.

2. No, a 1 month vacation will not jeopardize your GC. Of course, if you took ten 1 month vacations a year, then yes, that would likely jeopardize your green card.

3. Why are you leaving for 9 months? Is it work related? If so, get a letter from your employer. If it's family related, get some documentation to support it. If you keep a presence in the US (bank account, apartment, etc) you should be OK.

BTW, you are unlikely to lose your GC without a warning. I've read a couple of instances on this board where people have been warned by customs that it appears they no longer are a resident of the US. A note is put in their file at that point. If you leave the US for a few years, then yeah, you'll likely lose it the first time you come back. But if you leave for 9 months, coming back every couple months, you'll likely get a warning before they try and take the GC away.

The point is, if they ask why you are outside the US for 9 months, you better have a good excuse. And some documentation to back it up.

mdh