Just Got Laid Off!!

I knew it was coming! finally it happened. Been on EAD for over 2 years, just applied for my 3rd EAD! And I was just told that end of this month is my last day at work.
Now I'm not a programmer, I'm in IT recruiting and sales. Where the heck will I find a similar job?
I can't think straight. I don't know what to do. Only if TSC processed 485s in a timely manner, I would have gotten my greencard 2 years ago!
Now I along with my family will suffer for their negligence.
How long can I be unemployed while my I485 is pending?
what if they call me for aninterview or passport stamping while I am stil unemployed? What happenes then. Someone said don't worr, even if they call, they don't as u such questions as where is your paystub or where do u work now.
I don't kwno if I will atall find a similar job with similar pay. Not being a programmer n a certain skill will make it even harder for me to find a job of a technical recruiter/business analyst psition.

:(

hmcis,

Sorry to hear that. We all would suffer one day if things don't change soon.

Try not to burn bridges with your employer

hmcis
Sorry to hear this news.
My suggestions are as follows
a) Do not burn your bridges with old employer.
b) Request them to continue support of 485. They only need to give a you a note that they will hire you after you get green card. This too you will need only if you are called for an interview. Your case may be approved and you will be required to just go there and get passport stamped.
c) Try to find a similar job in any field related to IT. They consider all the jobs of IT to be similar.
d) Do not loose patience and consider it to be a bad thing which happened. Good time worth you and your ability will come back.
e) Have faith in your self and GOD.

Staying positive is the way to go!!
Onething everybody in us should know is nothing is permanent and life is full of cycles....

I can feel your frustations hmcis...God..if i just had the power i would royally screw the little goofballs that screw with our lives but have no problems and care less about it...just hang in there man.....it will be over soon....;)

I feel your pain I recently got laid off also and I am a physician. there is always light at end of tunnel keep searching

Think positive!

hmcis:

You are a prisoner of your own negative thoughts. Hey bud, just relax for tonight. You have a wife and kids? Go out for a dinner and stay calm for the night. Wake up tomorrow and then start everything afresh. You are in IT Recruiting and Sales? Why do you think you cannot manage to find a job? The situation is pretty grim and I do not deny that. But stay optimistic, at least you will get a chance to fathom the fettered waters. You have an EAD and you are protected by AC21. Now, you must be able to get a job for a lesser pay than normal to even barely manage your expenses and some employers make use of this to their advantage! In fact nothing stops you from even getting a pro tem job in a related field. You must be getting adjudicated pretty soon and if they are going to issue a RFE, you must be able to produce an employment letter and a pay-stub. This country is all about marketing and "choice of words." A small pit -- they will compare it to that of a canyon, a small hut -- they will compare it to that of a heritage, etc. Likewise, so long as you do some job related to the IT area, you can play some logomachy with INS or BCIS or whatever that is called now.

What you are undergoing now is very painful and part of your problem is that. You are not able to see beyond that. You have become obsessed with your lay-off. Tomorrow you will see that you were holding that finger too close to your eye that it hid everything out and will start moving it farther away, only to appreciate how many opportunities are made available to us. Don't spend your energies in a negative way by cussing and dissing BCIS. IT is like caviling, "Ah that scorpion stung me." What else does a scorpion do? Other than pussy-footing, what else does BCIS do? They are not running charity programs. Do they? Stay focussed. Don't expect lip-sympathies. Go like a dare-devil. The world is yours. Do not give up hopes. You will be in my prayers, tonight so that God Almighty gives you the strength to endure and to trust that everything works out for good.

More than an optimist, I always tend to be a meliorist. The subtle difference being, an optimist always thinks, "I will get a job tomorrow," whereas the meliorist will think, "I will get closer to getting a job tomorrow." Put in other words, a meliorist will say, "Tomorrow will certainly be better than today." You can be a meliorist or an optimist, but not a pessimist. All in the game! So, don't worry. You will just be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
have faith

i think being positive is half work done. as for disssing others I think that is not solution but a curse. i believe any problem half the issue is with us.
meditate and may peace be with you.

Sorry to hear about your situation hmcis

We are in a way responsible for all this suffering. HMCIS is not the only one, there would be more lay-offs like this, and that's a fact. No matter how positive we think, result (positive or negative) is not in our hands.

Most of us still think that they are gonna get lucky and their cases would be approved before the unthinkable happens. But, the fact and statistics say atleast 50% of us are going to face the odds.

Nothing is going to change unless WE, I mean all of us unite and fight the TSC system.

It's time to fight and not lecture.

We tried to schedule a Tele-conference with Rajiv from MSN TSC forum, 3 weeks back. I had also posted the links in this forum. The best part is that, 2 people disclosed their phone numbers and were ready for the conference. Although, about 10+ expressed their interest in joining the conference. They lied. As a result of such a poor response, we had to cancel the conference.

Which attorney is going to represent a group of nerds, who are scared to stand up for justice?

That's where we stand.

MAY GOD BLESS US ALL...

I'm so moved

I came to work this morning, pened this site and I am so moved by all your responses. I can't imagine how you all took time to write replies to my psiting. Thank you so much guys. From the bottom of my hart. I will keep my head up, I promise to you all.

hmcis,

I join all others in expressing sadness regarding what happened to you. But please stay positive and look for any jobs in the IT industry. IT is not just about programming. For example you can be a technical writer and still be part of the IT industry. As you have to find a job in case you get RFE-d consider taking a pay-cut if you find a new one, at least temporarily. Yes, the situation is tough currently, but who knows in 6 months there could be some hiring. The stock market is making a run, I think pretty soon employers will look into removing the hiring freezes that you are seeing at the moment. Good Luck,

sg_rg2

Keep your chin up

hmcis, Like everyone said, stay positive. Take each day as it comes and look for a similar job ASAP. Also, it has been good hear the attitude and support from this board especially the insightful post by poongunranar. Surely the lot of professionals like us can handle such strife better than the average person. My best wishes and good luck are with you and your family.

hmcis,

Sorry to hear this. Many of us fear the situation you are in, thanks to the wretched BCIS-TSC.

I pray that things work out for you. I hope you have some close family or friends in the US.

Good luck.