Just got laid off...Need help!

scottf

Registered Users (C)
I just got laid off after Christmas:(. My I-140 was approved in 02. My I-485 was filed in Oct 02 at TSC. I have not heard anything from TSC ever since.

1. I have been with my employer for 3 years. While I was on my Christmas vacation, I was laid off without any serverance. My unfinished vacation was converted into money compensation (only 2/3 of unfinished vacation time). My employment was a full time at-will employment. Is it legal for my boss to lay me off without serverance? :mad:

2. Do I have to find a new full-time job in order to continue the I-485 process? How about contract or self-employed work? Having my own firm?

3. During the I-485 interview, do the immigration officers ask for W2 or pay-stub?

4. I heard of AC-140. Does Hong Kong consulate accept that route? What is involved in that process? How long does it take? I have at least 1.5 years in the I-485 queue. Is it a good idea for me to switch now?

Thanks for your inputs.

Scott

Sorry to hear about your layoff...

1. Is it legal for my boss to lay me off without serverance?
Answer: If there was a severance clause in yoru employment agreement then it is illegal to layoff without severance pay. Check your employment agreement!

2. Do I have to find a new full-time job in order to continue the I-485 process? How about contract or self-employed work? Having my own firm?
Answer: Preferrably full time job on your EAD. Self employment may not be an option. Check with attorneys!

3. During the I-485 interview, do the immigration officers ask for W2 or pay-stub?
Answer: More than likely yes! W-2 and tax transcripts for last 3 years.

4. I heard of AC-140. Does Hong Kong consulate accept that route? What is involved in that process? How long does it take? I have at least 1.5 years in the I-485 queue. Is it a good idea for me to switch now?
Answerr: YEs HK accepts AC I-140.
AC I-140 process: http://www.immihelp.com/gc/consular/ac140.html
http://imminfo.com/Knowledgebase/FAQs/ACI140.html

Roughly takes about 6 months in HK from the time of filing AC I-140 papers with your consulate in HK.

Whether you should switch is a decision for you to make. Not knowing the details of your case i would recommend continuing with your 485 bcoz you have spent quiet some time on it and should be expecting gc approval in the next 9-12 months!