journal editor=independent reference?

yw7kyahoo

Registered Users (C)
Can I ask the editor of the journal that has published my paper as the expert to write the independent letter for me? But we all know that it is the reviewer not the editor to review your paper. Will the editor be willing to do that? Are they counted as the big shot in the field?

yw7kyahoo said:
Can I ask the editor of the journal that has published my paper as the expert to write the independent letter for me? But we all know that it is the reviewer not the editor to review your paper. Will the editor be willing to do that? Are they counted as the big shot in the field?

Depends on the background of the editor. Is he doing any kind of serious science with an own research group ? If yes, he is a good independent source. If no, look for somebody else.

A possibility

A paper published in the editor's journal is a possible starting point for a request for an independent letter. I'm assuming the editor's own research work is related to your own.

On another note: I actually asked the editor of a journal I reviewed manuscripts for to write a letter to discuss my many excellent and important referee activities. Since my two I-140s got approved, I'm assuming such a letter could have only helped my case.

GOOD LUCK!!