JoeF and Friends your thoughts

waitingvsc1

Registered Users (C)
Will participating in State run Health Insurance (e.g. Child Health Plus of New York ) program for my children considered as Receiving Public Assistance and could affect naturalization in any way? (BTW I am paying coverage fee every month as per their fee schedule Which is based on my income.)

Thank you all.

My guess is that it won't. check out www.nilc.org, it's a great resource for public aid + immigration related info. I bought their book "Guide to Federal Benefits...", it's well worth the money ($80 for an individual). It has a list of all state and federal public aid programs and how the use of each one of them will (or won't) affect immigration benefits.

Thank you

I just read in their application form booklet that says

The immigration and naturalization service ( INS) has said that enrollemnt in child health plus or medicaid CANNOT affect your or your child's ability to get a green card, become a citizen, sponsor a family member or travel in and out of the country ( except if Medicaid pays for long-term care in a place like a nursing home or psychiatric hospital). The State will not report any information on this application to the INS.

Unquote

Does that seem to fit in the picture?

NILC has a pointer to the document issued by the INS that explains in detail what the INS considers public aid and how they determine whether the use of public aid will affect immigration benefits. this is where much of the information on their website comes from. Look around on the NILC website for that pointer. Else find an attorney who specializes in both public aid + immigration issues (very hard to find one like that). Also non-profit immigration rights groups can help you with that
Good luck