Joef & other gurus, Can I mail GC plastic card to my home country? Any legal issues?

vimals

My wife is in india currently and had passport stamped with I-551.
She will be coming back within 6 weeks.
Meanwhile I got her plastic cards here in US, can I mail it to india through USPS/Fedex, is it legal? Do they catch GC through mail?

I knew she can come back with I-551 stamping, but would like to have less hastle during POE. Pl. reply gurus..

Thanks.

No Title

if she has an unexpired stamp in her passport she really does not need the plastic card. I travelled to india last year with just the stamp and had no problems coming back. Here at POE they will definitely recognize her stamp. i was worried about Indian officials at New Delhi but they too knew what the stamp was.

Keep the card

First, there is no hassle at POE if her (valid) passport has the GC stamp and the passport does not appear to be altered or tampered with. The GC stamp is not intended to be the exclusive indicator of her permanent residence in the US and merely provides a reference to her record in the INS database. An officer at a POE will use the A# to access her record, and validate basic information like identity, DOB, etc. The passport is used for other purposes, such as verifying identity and establishing country of citizenship. (Compare this to a visitor visa, where the passport contains a visa stamp that the officer may scrutinize for authenticity.)

Second, while FedEx, etc., may offer a high quality of service, the risk of losing the card is much more than the "hassle" at POE. So, just keep the card in a cool, dry place until she comes back.

Btw, when did you get the card? I was wondering if Dubya has been added to the list of presidents. Or do they exclude the current president? Does anyone know?