Job terminated - H1 to B2

reemashh

Hello, my 60 days grace period is ending on September 14th. I had decided to convert to B2 but my passport is expiring in March 2025. Is that okay?
My visa stamp on passport is already expired but I do have I797 thats valid till 2027. What steps should I take to maintain valid status?

Your passport is not required to be valid for the entire length of the new status at the time you apply for Change of Status. Your passport just has to be valid (of any length of validity) at the time you apply for the Change of Status, and you have to promise to maintain a valid passport. Your visa is irrelevant; visas are solely for entry and you are not entering the US.

Ok Thank you. Also can i submit for passport renewal while my change of status is pending?
Yes, if the country of your passport allows it. (Some countries require proof of status in the country you are in when applying for a passport, and they may or may not have procedures to deal with people with pending EOS/COS.)

Ok great. My passport country is India but it was issued in US. So do you think its better to get it renewed before applying for B2 ?

Also, when should I file for change of status to B2 visa online if my 60 days grace period ends on Sept 14th ?

Ok thanks but I mean how much time it takes to get the receipt so the latest day i should file without being out of status