Job opprotunities for J2visa holders!

lilly07

Hi
One of my friend introduced me to this forum. We are moving from Singapore to US for 1 year period and my husband will be on J1 status and hence as a dependant, I will be on J2 status. I am working in bioinformatics field. I would like to know the job opportunities as J2 visa holder in the US? How long will it take to start any process? Do I have to start my paper works once I land in US or can I start earlier? It would be of great help if someone throws light on my queries.
Thx
Lilly

1- You cannot apply for a work permit until you are in the US, because you won't be in J-2 status until you are admitted as a J-2 nonimmigrant at the point of entry.

2- The state where you will live will determine which Service Center you will mail your application to, and each service center has its own processing time. Usually, allow 6-12 weeks for the work permit. You can download form I-765 and familiarize yourself with it now so you won't have much trouble. You will also have to enclose a short letter with your application explaining what you will use the money for and certifying that any money you earn will not be used to support your husband. If you like, you can go ahead and take 2 passport type photos before you leave your country (white background, looking straight at the camera) so you can apply within a few days of arriving in the US without having to worry about finding a photographer.

Job opprotunities for J2visa holders! Reply to Thread

Thx for your reply and it would be really helpful. One more basic question. Sorry if it is too kiddish as I have never worked in the US before and I am not aware of the procedures.

I would like to know whether after looking for a job, will my employer process my paper works or do I need to do paper works before I find my job in the US. Is it quite difficult to find a job in J2 status?. B'cos in some countries like Singapore or Canada(where I have spent for years), it will be easy to find a job if you are in Permanent Resident(PR) status and it is extremely not possible if you are not. Is it the same case in the US? Thanks in advance.
Lilly

There is really no such thing as "finding a job in j-2 status." The vast majority of employers care only that you are able to work legally. They won't care (or even understand) what "j-2 status" is. Furthermore, you should not count on an employer to process any paperwork for you because of the same reasons. It's different if you work in an academic setting, where they are usually very familiar with immigration matters. Even then, their hands are tied if your spouse has the 2-year home residency requirement, because in that case you do too, and you cannot get your own visa until your spouse fulfills the requirement or obtains a waiver.

In any case, you should realize that work authorization for a J-2 is a privilege and not a right; it is granted mainly so the J-2 can do their own thing while the J-1 principal is fulfilling his exchange program duties.

Basically, the application is too easy for anybody to fill "paperwork" for you. It's a very simple application you fill, and you also write the short letter I told you about above (samples are all over the internet), then you send it to the USCIS service center along with 2 photos, and copies of your and your husband's I-94 cards, passport pages, visa pages, and DS-2019 forms. That's it. Once you get your card, you must go to the social security office to obtain a US social security card (your husband can get one immediately because he is J-1, but as a J-2 you cannot until you first obtain work authorization). Getting the social security card (and the number that's on it) can take a few more weeks, but you must have it for your employer's records. Once you get it, you just start your job as any other person would. You may also be able to start your job after you get the work permit but before you get the social security card, although you will ultimately have to provide your employer with the social security number for tax purposes.

It's a very simple process. Post here if you have any other questions.