job oppotunities for foreign pharmacists

firework

Hi everyone,

I am currently a chemistry graduate student. I will get a PhD degree three years later. Heard from recent graduates, job opportunities are limited and the entry-level salaries for a research chemist is about $50,000 in Florida, which I think is quite frustrating.

I am considering taking FPGEE & NAPLEX and start my career as a pharmacist in America. Would anyone tell me the job prospect as a pharmist? PhD vs. PharmD? Which would be better? In the job market, is it helpful if a pharmacist has a PhD title as well? 'cause I heard MD/PhD double degree is extremely competetive in hospitals. Does the same hold true in pharmacy?

By the way, I have Bachelor's degree in pharmacy outside U.S. and I was a registered pharmacist in my country. The PhD research project I am doing now is sort of peripheral with pharmaceutics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ph.D vs pharmacy and employment

Dear sir
Although I can not make a perfect comparison I could tell you what I have heard from others. With a Ph.D you may or may not go high up professionally. It all depends on the so called 'luck'. I hear now adays chemistry graduates do have better opportunities than it used to be (about 10 years ago). However, Pharmacy graduates do have better chances to find a job as well as to have better start up pay(an average of 75k and up).I have heard stories of a few people had been doing phd in the US, discontinued and have successfully completed FPGEC and NAPLEX in order to secure better financial stability in their lives. By no means I am discouraging you what you are currently doing. But this is the way I see things; this country allows one a lot of options in terms of careers and you could make yourself to do what you mostly wish for. Take care
cperia

firework said:
Hi everyone,

I am currently a chemistry graduate student. I will get a PhD degree three years later. Heard from recent graduates, job opportunities are limited and the entry-level salaries for a research chemist is about $50,000 in Florida, which I think is quite frustrating.

I am considering taking FPGEE & NAPLEX and start my career as a pharmacist in America. Would anyone tell me the job prospect as a pharmist? PhD vs. PharmD? Which would be better? In the job market, is it helpful if a pharmacist has a PhD title as well? 'cause I heard MD/PhD double degree is extremely competetive in hospitals. Does the same hold true in pharmacy?

By the way, I have Bachelor's degree in pharmacy outside U.S. and I was a registered pharmacist in my country. The PhD research project I am doing now is sort of peripheral with pharmaceutics.

A PhD will give you absolutely no advantage as a practicing registered pharmacist. Its a waste of time and money. At present, all you need is a pharmacist license regardless of where you graduated from or whether you graduated at the bottom of the class.