Jay

detroit_jay

I am getting ready to apply citizenship. What all do I need and when can I apply. I Will be completing 5 years of GC this september. I am in the Bay area california.
Thanks.

detroit_jay said:
I am getting ready to apply citizenship. What all do I need and when can I apply. I Will be completing 5 years of GC this september. I am in the Bay area california.
Thanks.

Assuming that I understood correctly your question here are your answers:

1. You can apply 4 years and 9 months after the date when you got your GC.

2. You need to complete a N-400 application.

3. Depending on your age, sex, marital status, criminal record, etc. there may be some documents you may have to attach to the N-400. You shoud go to www.uscis.gov and download the N-400 with instruction and you'll find there all the info you need to apply for citizenship.

Thanks for the info. I was told that I can apply after 4years and 6 months after getting GC. ANother question is how long it takes to get the citizenship. I need the ballpark figure. Thanks a lot again.

detroit_jay said:
Thanks for the info. I was told that I can apply after 4years and 6 months after getting GC.

NO

ANother question is how long it takes to get the citizenship. I need the ballpark figure. Thanks a lot again.

Depends on local DO. Go to www.USCIS.gov click on "Case Status online" and check your local DO Processing Dates...then hope you're not one of the unlucky ones who wait for years the FBI Name Clearance, if you look at my timeline, you see that I've applied for citizenship in Dec. 2003...and USCIS is processing applications from...if I'm not wrong, September 2005 :D