j2 dependent to j1 or h1b

msskd

Registered Users (C)
my hubby is on j1 visa n i am on j2 visa ,this yr if i get residency wld my visa status change to j1 or h1b as per programm or wld it stay same?

If you do a residency yourself, you can get your own J1. There was a thread a while back where I explained what the plusses and minusses of getting your own J1 vs doing the residency with an employment authorization on J2 are.
If you want to change to H1b status, it depends on whether your hubbys J1 has a home residency requirement or not. If not, you can switch to H1b (if you find a hospital willing to sponsor you).

In my opinion
Best option: Do residency on J2 with EAD. This way you do not have to get a HRR waiver. This of course is contingent on your hubbys J1 being valid for atleast 3 more years. I have never heard of a J2 EAD being denied. The down side is it may have to be renewed yearly and some times the delay with BCIS can delay your residency completion. My wife did her residency on J2 with EAD. Her residency completion got delayed and she was unable to sit for the boards last year. On the other hand, she got a waiver with me :)

I dont know if you will be able to change to H1 if your hubbys J1 has HRR. Is he a physician too?

Avoid changing to J1 if possible. I cant imagine a scenario where J2 EAD wont be possible, but if you have to then change to J1. Unlike what many say, it is NOT like the Black Death!!. Its a long uncertain process to get a waiver and then GC but in the end, the chance to become a resident of US is worth it all. After all, it still is the land of opportunity where dreams come true if you are willing to work hard.

> Its a long uncertain process to get a waiver and then GC but
> in the end, the chance to become a resident of US is worth it
> all. After all, it still is the land of opportunity where dreams
> come true if you are willing to work hard.

Amen! to that.

Best option is J2 with EAD.nowadays it comes in 60days in most of the cases.
but keep in mind that u can only have it for a max of 4yrs.

yup my hubby is a doc too,can u tell me when ur wife did her residency n she got EAD for how many yrs?i am not clear cause in one of posts its written it is for max 4 yrs n i another post its written someone got it for 7 yrs.