J1 Waiver Timeline

j1989

Hello,

I got my J1 waiver approved today and just wanted to share my timeline (I'm very thankful to this forum since it has helped me understanding this entire process and also finding other people's timelines).

Received Form DS-3035 (and other docs) – May 28th, 2013
Received No Objection Statement (from Peru) – June 18th, 2013
Received Favorable Recommendation – July 28th, 2013 (sent to USCIS on July 31st)
USCIS Waiver Approval – August 19th, 2013 (I still need the actual document but it should take a week or so to receive it)

It took me 40 days to obtain the favorable recommendation from DOS (after they received the last document they needed which was the NOL) and 19 days for USCIS to approve the waiver after they received the DOS recommendation. For me, this entire process took 4 months since the very first day I started filling for the waiver and collecting documents (April 2013); and a total of 2 months of waiting for DOS and USCIS to process everything.

I was truly scared that this was going to take a year or more (my grace period to stay in the US ends on September 15th, 2013…) but I am happy the way things turned out.

Best,
Joyce

Hi Joyce,
Congrats on your final approval today! and thanks for sharing your timeline.
Could you let us know where was your service center?
Thanks!

Can you please tell us more about your J-1? Which country are you from and what kind of sponsorship you had? Was it Fulbright?

Congratulations!

IGA waiver of 2y home country requirement - my timeline and result

I am formal Fulbright Scholar. (I did my PhD on US university. I am citizen of one EU country (do not want to share which one)

After PhD - I got O1 visum and seeked IGA waiver of 2y requirement.
It took me 1 year to get all the rec. letters and employer letters.

My waiver request was denied.

This was the timeline:

Jan 2012 started getting documents and employer buy in

Sep 2012 had all recommendation letters and seeked employer letter

Dec 2012 filed petition - web systems shows received

Feb 2013 3 month waiting and no change (i takes 3 to 6 to 9 months - I was told), you simply use web tracking system to look up your case #

June 2013 phase 1 finished - HHS scientific review concluded that my scientific stuff is OK (case proceeded) - seen via the web, my international office somehow knew that it was positive

Aug 20 2013 phase 2 (sponsor view) received, painfull weeks start

Sep 10 2013 web system shows final decision (denied)

Sep 15 2013 I get letter that DOS (dept. of state) provided not favorable recommendation

Oct 4 2013 I get letter from UCIS that my case ended as waiver denied

Hi Joyce, My girlfriend and I are in a similar situation. I was wondering how you got your sponsor to issue a no objection statement for your application. My fiance is also from Peru, and they are requiring her sponsor to write her a statement saying they don't object to her getting the waiver, but her sponsor is giving us a tough time about it. I know this is an old post, but we would greatly appreciate any advice.

Hello,

I got my J1 waiver approved today and just wanted to share my timeline (I'm very thankful to this forum since it has helped me understanding this entire process and also finding other people's timelines).

Received Form DS-3035 (and other docs) – May 28th, 2013
Received No Objection Statement (from Peru) – June 18th, 2013
Received Favorable Recommendation – July 28th, 2013 (sent to USCIS on July 31st)
USCIS Waiver Approval – August 19th, 2013 (I still need the actual document but it should take a week or so to receive it)

It took me 40 days to obtain the favorable recommendation from DOS (after they received the last document they needed which was the NOL) and 19 days for USCIS to approve the waiver after they received the DOS recommendation. For me, this entire process took 4 months since the very first day I started filling for the waiver and collecting documents (April 2013); and a total of 2 months of waiting for DOS and USCIS to process everything.

I was truly scared that this was going to take a year or more (my grace period to stay in the US ends on September 15th, 2013…) but I am happy the way things turned out.

Best,
Joyce

Hi all, do you guys know if applying for the waiver before your program is completed would affect your program in terms of funding such as Fulbright funding? In other words how early do you have to start the application process before your DS 2019 is expired?