J1 waiver timeline 2013 (Faster than I expected) - India

J1INDUS

I had to apply for a J1 waiver for my wife who was subject to the 2yr HRR due to an internship she did in the US in 2009. She is from Hyderabad and here's our timeline.

J1 Waiver Timeline 2013 (India)

Jan 21 2013 Mailed NORI application to Indian Consulate, Houston along with the passport and necessary fees

Jan 27 2013 Received attested NORI application copies from Indian Consulate

Jan 29 2013 Sent attested NORI application, cover letter to my father in-law in Hyderabad. I sent it through Fedex. Did not want to take risk with USPS. Recd in India on Feb 2. He then mailed it from there to the respective offices - the MHRD, Hyderabad passport office and AP Home Dept. He followed up personally with the passport office and the home dept. to make sure the process was moving forward

Mar 28 2013 Passport office sent NOC directly to Houston consulate via email. My father-in law confirmed this from the passport office personnel. They did not give any form of paper confirmation. Just sent an email directly to consular officials. We were able to get the file reference no. from them just in case

Apr 12 2013 My father in-law was able to obtain a copy of the NOC from the AP home dept. They mailed a paper copy to the Houston consulate. On the same day, I also sent required documents to DOS

Apr 15 2013 I called up the Houston consulate to verify if they had received the email from the passport office. The lady on the other end just mentioned to send over whatever NOC proof I had. I tried to ask her if a scanned copy of the NOC obtained from the home dept will be enough along with the email NOC from the passport office. She said 2 out of the 3 NOCs should be enough

Apr 18 2013 Sent the scanned copy of 1 NOC along with email confirmation of other NOC and DOS case number page to Houston consulate

Apr 26 2013 Received NOC from Indian Embassy at home address

DOS updates:

Recommendation Sent June 06, 2013
No Objection Statement Received May 14, 2013
Fee Received April 30, 2013
Form DS-3035 Received April 30, 2013
Form DS-2019 Received April 30, 2013
Passport Data Page Received April 30, 2013
Statement Of Reason Received April 30, 201

Jun 13 2013 Received USCIS receipt no. by mail. Checked the very same day online to see to my surprise that USCIS had already approved the I612 petition

Jun 19 2013 Received the I612 approval through mail. Yayy!!!

Comments: Try to use Fedex to send documents to India. Make sure someone in India follows up with your application. Only 2 NOCs are enough. No need to wait to get all three. Funny story: Today on July 2nd 2013, I got a document from the missing third link, the MHRD dept. stating that something in my NORI affidavit is not filled correctly. In the affidavit section, apparently they need a 'Yes' next to line items 2, 3 and 4. Strange!!! If there is a statement and you sign below it, it is automatically understood that you agree with the statement. Then what is the need to say 'Yes' next to the statement. Idiots!!!Thank goodness 2 NOCs were enough. This letter that the MHRD sent was signed 5/17/2013 and it reached me on 7/2/2013. The letter states that if I do not respond within 45 days of the date it was signed, I have to restart the NOC process with the MHRD. Well, it took 45 days for me to get the letter in my hand!!! Go figure..

Last edited by a moderator:
J1 waiver help

I had to apply for a J1 waiver for my wife who was subject to the 2yr HRR due to an internship she did in the US in 2009. She is from Hyderabad and here's our timeline.

J1 Waiver Timeline 2013 (India)

Jan 21 2013 Mailed NORI application to Indian Consulate, Houston along with the passport and necessary fees

Jan 27 2013 Received attested NORI application copies from Indian Consulate

Jan 29 2013 Sent attested NORI application, cover letter to my father in-law in Hyderabad. I sent it through Fedex. Did not want to take risk with USPS. Recd in India on Feb 2. He then mailed it from there to the respective offices - the MHRD, Hyderabad passport office and AP Home Dept. He followed up personally with the passport office and the home dept. to make sure the process was moving forward

Mar 28 2013 Passport office sent NOC directly to Houston consulate via email. My father-in law confirmed this from the passport office personnel. They did not give any form of paper confirmation. Just sent an email directly to consular officials. We were able to get the file reference no. from them just in case

Apr 12 2013 My father in-law was able to obtain a copy of the NOC from the AP home dept. They mailed a paper copy to the Houston consulate. On the same day, I also sent required documents to DOS

Apr 15 2013 I called up the Houston consulate to verify if they had received the email from the passport office. The lady on the other end just mentioned to send over whatever NOC proof I had. I tried to ask her if a scanned copy of the NOC obtained from the home dept will be enough along with the email NOC from the passport office. She said 2 out of the 3 NOCs should be enough

Apr 18 2013 Sent the scanned copy of 1 NOC along with email confirmation of other NOC and DOS case number page to Houston consulate

Apr 26 2013 Received NOC from Indian Embassy at home address

DOS updates:

Recommendation Sent June 06, 2013
No Objection Statement Received May 14, 2013
Fee Received April 30, 2013
Form DS-3035 Received April 30, 2013
Form DS-2019 Received April 30, 2013
Passport Data Page Received April 30, 2013
Statement Of Reason Received April 30, 201

Jun 13 2013 Received USCIS receipt no. by mail. Checked the very same day online to see to my surprise that USCIS had already approved the I612 petition

Jun 19 2013 Received the I612 approval through mail. Yayy!!!

Comments: Try to use Fedex to send documents to India. Make sure someone in India follows up with your application. Only 2 NOCs are enough. No need to wait to get all three. Funny story: Today on July 2nd 2013, I got a document from the missing third link, the MHRD dept. stating that something in my NORI affidavit is not filled correctly. In the affidavit section, apparently they need a 'Yes' next to line items 2, 3 and 4. Strange!!! If there is a statement and you sign below it, it is automatically understood that you agree with the statement. Then what is the need to say 'Yes' next to the statement. Idiots!!!Thank goodness 2 NOCs were enough. This letter that the MHRD sent was signed 5/17/2013 and it reached me on 7/2/2013. The letter states that if I do not respond within 45 days of the date it was signed, I have to restart the NOC process with the MHRD. Well, it took 45 days for me to get the letter in my hand!!! Go figure..

Glad to know that they require only 2 of the 3 NORIs. I just got the NORI from the Home Department today and I am waiting from the MHRD. Did u just send the scanned copy of NORI from the Home Department via E-mail? Are there any other documents or fees need to be sent to the Indian Consulate after getting two NORIs?
I really want to know more about the "Statement of Reason" you provided to the DOS.
Please share one if you can.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I sent the scanned copy of the NORI. You do have to send the misc. services form and the required fees including the $3 fees to the consulate.

All I mentioned in the statement of reason was that I had come to US for internship for 2 months using my own funds. No government funds were used. I am currently doing my Phd and after I finish it, I would like to continue working in that field in the US. So, I needed a waiver.

Glad to know that they require only 2 of the 3 NORIs. I just got the NORI from the Home Department today and I am waiting from the MHRD. Did u just send the scanned copy of NORI from the Home Department via E-mail? Are there any other documents or fees need to be sent to the Indian Consulate after getting two NORIs?
I really want to know more about the "Statement of Reason" you provided to the DOS.
Please share one if you can.
Thanks a lot!

Home department address fpr orissa born/esidents

Dear friends,

I was looking for Home department Address ( Orissa/Odisha). As, I have to post my J1 waiver documents for NORI certificate during July 2013. Please let me know, if anybody has any clue.

Best,
VP