J1 waiver, EAD and H1B/H4B

repo

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am working in one of the national labs as a NRC fellow for the last 14 months. And I am on J1 visa and my wife has a J2 visa and EAD. She is also employed in a private firm on the basis of her EAD and our visas will be expiring in 8 months (by September, 2009). Also, I have been offered a "permanent" position in the same lab and need to change to H1B when the appointment is made (they are willing to do it anytime after June). Also, there is a chance that my lab might take up the waiver application through "interested government agencies" channel.

I know some of you have gone through this process before and may be willing to help newbies. I have some question regarding the whole process and any help is highly appreciated.

1. If J1 waiver is granted, does it automatically cancel my wife's EAD or can she keep working until we apply for the H1B/H4B?

2. And if my wife is eligible to keep her EAD even after the J1 waiver, when does it actually get canceled, by the date of H1B/H4B application or date of its approval?

3. What happens after the J1 waiver is granted, do I have to apply for the H1B visa immediately or can I wait until JulyAugust (since J1 visa is expiring by Sept.)?

We welcome any suggestions and answers to these questions. Please feel free to ask for any additional information that may be required. Thank you all for your precious time.