J1 waiver approved - timeline

vanantha

Registered Users (C)
2002 Feb sent letters to India. Parents mailed them.
No Objections from Delhi and Madras Passport office came to the US address on April 10th and 23rd without any follow up.
App to Madras home ministry sent by end of March along with “No dues” certificate from college.
After calling Madras home ministry in June, came to know that app was held up in police verification. They wanted a letter from parents stating that they have no objection and that I am not abandoning spouse. The letter was given in person in July. By the end of July got the No Objection certificate in mail (US address).

2003 March sent data sheet to DOS. Got case file number on March 21st. (no. 803…)
Indian embassy sent No objection certificate (within 2 days of application) and sponsoring institute sent No objection, both by April 23rd.
June 20th waiver approved by DOS and copy sent to BCIS.
June 30th receipt from BCIS noting receipt of waiver app I-212 from DOS (receipt date June 23rd).
June 30th BCIS online status says case approved.

(Didnt call DOS to check status anytime)

thanks for the faqs, replies posted by regulars to other Qs and timelines. Have been following it since I got on to J1.

Hi Vanantha: congratulations on your success in getting your waiver request approved. I am still waiting for the decision on my application and have not heard from them at all. So far the only update I can get is via their website and that too has been suspended (well, under construction).

May I ask whether you were sponsored by any FEDERAL govt agency at any time during your tenure as a J1? Also, do you have an immigrant's visa or H1B or something already approved (i.e. that will allow you to stay and do a change of status)?

I'm wondering whether any of the above may have been grounds for having my case be in limbo for so long (7 months and counting...)

Is anyone else in this forum also waiting for DOS to make their decision on their J1 waiver application?

yes i work in a federal research institution and am paid by them.

My H1 B has not yet been applied. My J1 is valid till the year end within which H1b has to be applied.

V

NORI

Hello Vanantha

I am from Madras now living in Oklahoma

You have a done an excellent job.Congratulations.
Please clarrify my queries.

I have just received my "Statement" and 'Affidavit" notarized from Indian consulate, Houston.

Now I have to send them to the following offices in India to get clearances.
1. Regional Passport Office, Chennai
2. Home Ministry, Chennai
3. MHRD- Department of Education, New Delhi.

Could you please let me know, what additional supportive documents have to be enclosed along with these statements and affidavits with respect to each office. Are master's and doctoral degrees required .

Your immediate reply on this matter will be very much appreciated.
Thanks
kalingan

TO
i am a new user.
All i can say is contact the international office in USAID where u did your internship and talk to them. Ask them to send a No objection with ur case number on the letter and the envelop.

To
aKalingan
bachelors and phd degrees (notarized if possible), birth certificate, transcripts, passport copy, etc. include anything u can think of that is relevant. (the Nori app form from the embassy gives the list)
For chennai home ministry dont forget to include a letter from your parents saying that they dont have any objection to ur getting the NORI and that u r not abandoning ur spouse or that u r not married.
and also dont forget the "No dues" cert from college in india

V

J1 waiver - based on NORI - timeline until DOS recommendation

I had an excrutiating time waiting for the waiver, therefore here is my current timeline for the benefit of others. As of now I have a Favorable recommendation from DOS. Still waiting for a hard copy letter and final waiver from BCIS. Here is my timeline until now.

1. Applied for NORI in Indian Embassy in San Francisco: Mar 2006
  2. Got documents back from SF embassy: April 2006
  3. Applied for clearance from all three offices in India: April 2006
  4. Got all three clearances from India: Jan 2006 - HRD was the fastest, UP govt was the slowest.
  5. Applied for case number online on DOS website on Jan 29th, mailed the package same day. Online status marked reciept of all documents on Feb 12th 2007. No Objection from Indian Embassy in SF was marked as received on February 26th 2007.
  6. Recommendation sent on Apr 26th 2007.
Hope I get the letter from DOS soon, since my potential employer is pushing me to start asap.
Good Luck to all you guys.

Hi Vanantha and all,

Below are my queries. Pls help me out

- Is it possible to apply after I return back to IND? ( J1 expire in June - 2007 )
- Let say I am marriying to US citizen girl...What chance u can see to get it successed.

many thanks...

Please Help me get a J1 waiver

Hi all,

I have been admitted into the Professional MS program in the ECE department for Fall 2007 in carnegie mellon university(CMU)

However, there seems to be a peculiar proble, which has been putting me under a lot of stress.

I came on a internship to UC Santa Cruz in December 2006, for a period of 10 weeks, on a J1 visa. I am currently back in my home country. ( India). My j1 visa expired around the last week of Febuary 2007. The 2 year home requirement rule applies in my case.
And this is what my problem is.

I'll be coming to CMU on a F1 visa, and after I graduate from CMU ( 1.5 years from now), I want to work in the US for a couple of years on a H1b Visa ( Atleast that's what my plan is, though I really do not want to settle in US, as I have my family back in India.)
As far as I know, The 2year home requiremnt rule wont let me transfer on a H1 visa.

I know, there is a J1 waiver available. I have an idea on how to go about it ( I went through the website of US-DOS).But I need guidance, as the process involved is quite difficult and long. Considering, I would be graduating in another 18 months after my MS program starts ( Aug 2007), when should I apply for the waiver, and how?

( (Going through the website of US-DOS, >>
they say that I have to fill an online DS-3035 form and which will then give a case number once I submit it. But they don't tell us, as to how to get NO objection letters from the 3 offices at India, with the required addresses, and the format requesting a No Objection Letter. Please help me in this))

How many of the people who apply, do get the waiver? Has there ever been a problem? ( I was not funded by US governemt or my government for the internship i mentioned, nor did I come on a full-bright scholorship)

Since, this is bothering me from quite some time, I would be grateful to you, if you could help me out in this.
thanks a lot

J1 waiver

To G Patel:

Thank u for providing this link.. it really helped me alot...
THough I just have some doubts and I hope u can clear them:

1. After filling the affidavit forms ( as given on the link), how do u get them notarized in US? are there people who do that there?

2. I am still in my home country, and will be going to US for masters in July 2007. Should I start applying for the waiver now? or should I wait to first reach US?

3. The reason why I am applying for a J1 waiver is because, I want to work in US after I graduate in 1.5 years, ( though I really don't have any prospective job offers, since I haven't even started my graduate studies). So what reason should I provide for the waiver, if I decide to apply for the waiver, as soon as I reach USA ( i.e. july 2007, when my grad studies just begins)

I would be really grateful, if you could help me in this. Or infact anyone who has any suggestions, it would be really helpfull..

Thanks a lot
This forum rocks
Sushant MAdan

Hi Shushant....

I have not yet applied for waiver...and i do not have complete knowledge for your queries...

But I know there are good fellows in this forum and will definitely help out for yout doubts.

Let's hope for the best.