J1 visa waiver

sidbid

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,
I just joined this forum and have to admit this has a lot of info regarding several issues. I am on a j1 visa from Nepal and presently working in a resort. I do have a home residency requirement for 2 yrs. I was sponsored by an organization in US and the funds involved are not US or home government. The funds are from the host company which is the resort I am working for and it is also mentioned on my DS 2019.
Do I need to request a letter from my sponsor stating that they do not have any problem if I stay back in USA in order to request a No Objection Certificate from my Embassy??
Pls advise

You say you have the home residency requirement. Are you saying this because it is written on your visa that you are?

Generally, you will be subject to the HRR if you are 1- receiving funds from your government or your home government, or 2- the profession you are engaged in is on the Skills List for Nepal. If neither of these are true, or you are unsure, you should request an Advisory Opinion from the State Department that will be the final determination whether or not your subject. Search this forum or Google to know more about getting an Advisory Opinion. Good luck.

Thanks mate but my profession is on a skill shortage list and hence I am subject to 2 yrs HRR. My sponsor is a non governmental organization based in USA and my employer I am working is a private one. So do you think I still need to get a letter from my employer or the sponsor in order to request a NO Objection Letter. and also what is a sponsor view?

Sponsor views are when a J-1 scholar receives US government funds. When that happens, the DOS will not only require a no objection statement but will also ask the US government sponsor to agree to a waiver. In your case it is not something you will have to deal with.

As for your original question, only the Nepalese embassy can answer it. You should check the embassy website - or call them - and ask them what they require in order to issue a no objection statement. They will tell you if they need something from your sponsor or from your former employer in Nepal. Good luck.