J1 Visa to H1B or F1 or B

J1boyDC

Hi everyone!

I am on a J1 Exchange Visitor Program right now for 12 months and I am not subject to 2Year rule and I have Multiple Entry on my Visa. And my contract/Visa will expire on march 2009. What do you think will be my best way to extend my stay here in the US?

1. I am currently doing some research of the companies that might sponsor me. (but seems so difficult because of what's happening with economy here. Any ways you can share? Like sites to go or processes to do?)
2. Also, might take the opportunity to change to F1 and try to go to school for the mean time while waiting for a willing sponsor. (this one is tough, coz I can't work. And I need to pay tuition and bills.)
3. I read one of the threads here that, J1 holder can go to Canada, and enter from there under B1? Not pretty sure, but it sounds kind of like that.
4. What if I go for B1 Visa, what should be my process?

Lastly, what's the meaning of "Advisory Opinion"? I just read it on a thread. Am not familiar with it.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Best Regards

Advisory Opinion is the advice you get from the DOS to determine if you are subject to the 2-year home residency requirement or not.

You cannot work on a B visa and you may run the risk of being denied especially if you apply for it not in your home country. Contact the US embassy in Canada if they allow or if they issue B visas on non-Canadian citizens.

You can change to F1 but that may only issued outside the US.

The options you have that can be done in the US is H1 (this could take time and has a cap except if you're working in a higher institution of learning) to allow you to work or apply for a National Interest Waiver (self-petition). Good luck.

If are on PCT J1 visa then you can extend your visa for another 6 months if your current host company and your sponsoring organization agree.
In your situation the best option would probably be the F1 visa (you can even try a language school) but you need to start the process ASAP as there is a lot you have to do.