j1 visa options........pls advise

brian123

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am a foreign physician, currently on a NON-ECFMG sponsored J1 Research Visa, contracted till March,09, subject to a 2 year HRR.

I wish to apply to an MD training program subsequent to this research tenure. I have cleared my USMLE step exams. I wish to know the following things:

1. To get a residency on a J1, which would start in July,09, would a transfer from a J1 research to j1 clinical be permissible? What would I need to do for it? Would I need any gap to transfer from J1 research to J1 clinical? I have heard of a 12 month bar [is is only for re-entry as a professor and not as a physician?]

2. Would filing for a waiver and then getting a H1 from my current employer (research) be a better option. Also, will it make me ineligible for the ECFMG j1 clinical sponsorship in the future?

3. How early I can file for a j1 waiver? Will the fact that I am filing for my waiver too early hold against me?

3. Which of the above options would be feasible for me in terms of cost and time?

4) In summary, is filing for a J1 waiver and going for h1 more sensible or is a transfer to a j1 clinical more reasonable? Also, what about the total time one spends on the J1? ECFMG tells me that they issue a 7 year J1 clinical regardless of what time has been spent earlier. [ i dont think thats correct]

5) I hear the J1 research to J1 clinical transfer is very difficult. Is this true?

thank you for reading!

I don't know much about transferring from J-1 research to J-1 clinic, but you should be aware of some new J-1 rules (summarized here) that may or may not apply to you regarding switching to another J program. These are the one-year rule and the two-year rule (SEPARATE from the 2-year HRR).

To answer generally, the sooner you rid yourself of J status, the better. You should aim to change to another status, like H1, as soon as possible if you plan to remain in the US.

Lastly: You should not apply for the HRR waiver if you plan to travel, as applying for a waiver means you don't intend to comply with the terms of your current program (which is to return home) and thus you may be denied entry at the US airport if the immigration officer sees you applied for, or obtained, a HRR waiver. Some people have gotten denied entry to the US, others have had no problems. It's a risk you alone will have to decide to take. So apply for your waiver as soon as possible after you return from your last foreign travel before you anticipate getting on a new status. For example, if you have plans for next summer, apply for your waiver as soon as you come back, but don't travel again until you obtain your new status. Remember that it can take anywhere from 2-6 months to get your waiver, and you need at least the state department favorable recommendation to even apply for H status.

Last edited by a moderator: