J1-Visa Exchange Visitor Skills List

vipbat

Registered Users (C)
I am on an exchange program in Texas Austin on J1 and my program ends in another month. I am subject to the 2 year residency restriction in India under the Skills List starting from the date my exchange program gets over. I have to start the waiver process as soon as I get back. However, I do not know what are the forms that one needs to fill for the No Objection and where do I get those forms? Also, which dept. in the education ministry do I need to approach and where? Also, what should be the contents of the NOC if at all there is a standard format? I have another month here, do you suggest that I start the process here or do I go back and then start it in India?
Also, is it necessary to hire an attorney for this? As you can see, I am really clueless about how to start the process and where to get the appropriate forms for the NOC. Any help from you would be really appreciated.

I tried to search a few threads but could not find an answer to these basic questions

1. get the forms from a web site.
2. loads of information on immigrationportal.com for people from your country.
spend an hour finding posts. People here have already done the work for you if you look.
Searching a "few threads" isn't what I would call looking.

Thanks for the response. But I have seen the J1 No wiaver website befoe. Let me try to be more clear. This link asks me to fill the "reason for no objection". I need some info on this. Also, as far as getting NOC from India is concerned, the threads in this forum tell me that I need to contact the education ministry in Delhi. I need some clarification on where do I start the process. Do I start it here at the Indian embassy in US or do I start it in India?

The link just said that it is a country specific process. I need some help on the contents of the NoC that I need to get from the Education ministry. Does the education ministry in India have a specific form that I need to fill out for the NOC or is it just a letter (assuming that I start the process in India). As far as the details of my case go, I am on an exchange program here in Texas only for a semester. I am not on any sort of funding. But the 2 yr residency restriction applies to me under the Skills list clause of INA212(E).

Any further help would be appreciated. I can give any more details if needed. I have seen the links on this forum but most of them started the process here at the Indian Embassy in US. I need some info on how do I start if at all I start it once I get back in India in a month; when the 2 yr restriction actually comes into force. Do let me know if you think it is better that I start it here itself.

Thanks again!

Yes u can start process here. download necessary forms/ affidavit from the site of ur embassy. For indians, there r 4 embassy, first figure out, which one will fall in ur area. Then send notarized copies of all the forms, along with fees, n other documents to embassy by overnight shipping along with self address envelop with stamps, if possible priority/overnight.
Because the returned doc sent n attested by the embassy u will be able to take with u to ur home country, where u can submit them to different govt authorities by hand. These authorities will issue NO OBJECTION N send them to embassy n at ur address, now in the form If u have given US address, make sure ,somebody will collect it for u n send to u. After that u will request embassy to issue waiver certificate to DOS. So 1st u need to collect NORI from ur home country, that takes v long, u have to push them.

U can see my complete timeline in another post, This forum is really helpful, If u thoroughly go through diff posts n experiences, u ll get enough information.
I m sure, u will get some post related with people who filed while in their home country.

Good Luck

If u r working in texas, then u need to send the forms for attestation to consulate general of india, Houston. But make sure If u really need to send the original passport to them , n u need to leave US within a month, then better u first go to ur home country n then start this step, as while traveling original passport is must, n there can be delay in consulate processing. forms n affidavit, u ll get from this site: http://www.cgihouston.org/nori.pdf.
This form will explain u in detail.
N this is the official site for houston consulate.
http://www.cgihouston.org/

Before mailing always check their revised fees on their sites, some time fees listed on therir forms r not updated.

Good luck

Hi Nasho,
Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.
I went to your other post and checked the timleines; apparentlt it took you 8 months. Also, I fly back on Dec 15th but I can give an address in the US. Would you suggest that I start the process here or start it when I go back in India.

Also, could you give me some guidance on the contents of the Reason for No Objection that we are asked to fill in one of the forms. Did you get an attorney's suggestion to fill that or did you fill it on your own. As far as my case goes, I am an exchange student here in Austin only for a semester; i do not have any sort of funding etc. but I come under the skills list under INA 212(e). I am full-time mba student in India. I do not know the specifics of what skills in that list apply in my case, in case that is something we need. I need the waiver because I have to come back and work in the US full-time. It would help if you could let me know if I need to take care of a few things while writing the reason for NoC to make my case stronger

Also, in one of the other posts on this forum it was mentioned that we need to send our docs to the follwing 3 depts...do we need some sort of influence etc. to get the authorities in these depts to follow up on our case faster...
(1) regional passport (2) home ministry of the state and (3) Dept of education

My email id is vipbat@gmail.com in case that is needed. I would be happy to talk to you for sometime if you could let me know your number

Thanks again!

I just checked the form that you have sent. It does not ask for any reason for NoC. But I saw that in one of the forms that you fill online for J1 waiver. So, is this the only form that we need to fill?

What is the answer to the following question on the form:
Please indicate below the name of the scheme under which you proceeded abroad.

I am just on an MBA Exchange program. Is that what is expected there?

Is it necessary that I send the docs to the emabassy in Houston. I have a frnd in NY who can do it for me by personally visting the embassy there. Will that be allowed? Also, if we do it by personally visiting the embassy, will the process be done in a day? I have tried calling the embassy many times, but no one even picks up the phone there. Please do reply ...as I have not much time left. I would really appreciate any help

Thanks again!

Can someone tell me about the miscellaneous services form? The affidavit is asking me to send a Miscellaneous Services form to them. I am just on an MBA exchange program; do I need to send the miscellaneous services form at all?

I just got the miscellaneous services form from the consulate website. I am assuming that I have to check the "No obligation to return to India" box which mentions a fee of $60. There is one more box called NORI waiver certificate ($20). I don't think it is needed at this stage. Please do correct me if I am wrong.