J1 Visa CATEGORY Change

magrawa

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Please help !!!
I am a Pathologist on J-1 and have a category as “alien physician.” . I am completing my residency in June. I got a research job offer at the same University. Do I have to apply for a new J-1 visa because my new category will be under “research scholar". Can I do this and how do I do this ?
Thanks for your help

Hi

You can be in J1 VISA for a maximum of three years only.If you have completed one year then you can be on that visa for only two years maximum.

If you have completed two years then you can be on J1 for another one year. Beyond three years you can not be on J1 VISA.

Accordingly you can calculate and ask you boss to apply for a TRANSFER OF J1 for the BALANCE PERIOD.

NO NEED TO APPLY WITH FRESH APPLICATION.
JUST TRANSFER
KALI
akalingan@yahoo.com

J visa alien physician

maximum alloweable time for alien physicians is 7 years, if you are switching to full time research it will be a category change and will take some convincing. I had a hard time in 2000; ie when visa rules were supposed to be relaxed!!

In my case a well structured personal ststement and a letter from program director clearly stating (my) objectives helped.

good luck

Change Category of J1 Visa

Hi

I'm on an intern category of J1 for 1 year. This year is almost over, so i applied to change the category from intern to a researcher to spend another year and complete my research. i need to know how long does it take until they respond, and if they refused what can i do.

I have a financial support for another year, also i'm in the US.

Thank you,

I'm on an intern category of J1 for 1 year. This year is almost over, so i applied to change the category from intern to a researcher to spend another year and complete my research. i need to know how long does it take until they respond, and if they refused what can i do.

I have a financial support for another year, also i'm in the US.

Thank you,