J1 visa 212 (e) waivee

SanjanaParaz

Hi,

I came to the US on a J1 visa in 2018 for a summer research internship and was subjected to the 212 (e) 2-year home country residency requirement. On MY DS2019, the reasons for 212 (e) marked were Government funding and Exchange visitor skillset. However, the funding indicated on the DS2019 is through a private company in India and I ended up using personal funds along with a scholarship. My guess is that the Consular officer confused my scholarship and that private company funding to be government funding and marked that on my DS 2019. No other students on the same scholarship who were not marked for government funding on their DS2019.

I am now applying for a waiver for 212 (e) and have already received the NOCs from India. I want to send in my application to USDOS for consideration of waiver but I'm worried that it might get rejected as most cases of government funding generally are. In this case, is there any chance of getting that error corrected as it clearly shows the name of the private company that was supposed to fund me on my DS1019? Or can I just mention this in my Statement of Reason while applying for the waiver?

PS. I'm currently on F1 OPT (started in June) and am eligible for STEM OPT extension next year. I'm hoping that the waiver application does not affect my STEM OPT extension. I would like to submit my application for H1b lottery next year and hence would like to get the waiver sorted ASAP.

Any counsel in this matter would be helpful.

Thanks,
Sanjana.