J1 two-year rule - what are the odds of success?

MrSheepish

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

Does anyone have a rough idea of how often these waivers are granted or rejected?

There probably are not public statistics on this, and I assume that this depends a lot on the situation. I am just looking to get a rough idea of what our chances are, even if it is only from personal anecdotes from people in similar (or different) J1 situations.

In our particular case my Turkish wife received her J1 visa funding from a Turkish university to get educated and do scientific research in the USA. We are now applying for funding, hoping to be approved under the "no objection" rule. She has a job offer in the USA and I am an American citizen, but I really have no idea if that will be considered in such a decision.

If you are willing to share your opinion or thoughts on this I would be very interested. Thanks!

Hi:

From personal experience: If your wife received no U.S. funding (meaning US Department of State or Fulbright visa), this should make the process much easier. In your case, it's all up to the Turkish embassy if they issue a No Objection statement. I don't even think it matters if she already has a job lined up in the US.

Best

Hello - I am in a similar situation as your wife! Same country & same scholarship. Have you found any solutions to the problem? Please let me know and maybe we can share information and help each other!!!

Hello,
I am a Turkish J-1. I just received my two year rule waiver. My process went pretty smoothly (I hope it goes as smoothly for my new visa, because my J-1 is expiring soon, that's another story..).
I had no govt funding, no ties with any of the Turkish universities, no Fulbright... The whole process took less than 3 months.. I am sure it is rather difficult to get a waiver with a letter from your embassy saying you are supposed to go back. I know people who are paying (or paid) their debt to the Turkish govt (MEB) in installments (taksit), plus the legal interest (faiz). For Fulbright scholars: they say it is almost impossible, even if you are married to a US citizen.
Good luck!