J1 to J2

ondutynik

Hi,
I got j1 visa for 3 years for my residency and my wife is on j1 since last 1 year. we got residency on east and west coast of country and we don't want to live separate. Is it possible that she can switch her J1 visa to J2 visa ? or is it mandatory for her to go back to home country for 2 years?

It is possible to switch to any visas other than H/L/K or green card. However, she will need to make this switch by leaving the US and re-entering with a new J2 visa. While the 2-year rule is still in effect, she cannot change her status from within the US. This rule is written on the 2nd page of DS-2019.

Keep in mind that the J2 visa does not allow her to work.

Thanks for your reply. so she has to apply from home country for j2. and how this 2 year home residency requirement works after she change her status from j1 to j2?

Thanks for your reply. so she has to apply from home country for j2. and how this 2 year home residency requirement works after she change her status from j1 to j2?

If the primary J1 holder is subject to the 2-year rule, she will be subject to the 2-year rule again. The good news is that they are not accumulative. If she is subject to the rule multiple times, she will only need to be in her home country for 2 years (not 4) after her last J visa.

The 2-year rule does not affect her eligibility of getting another J visa.