J1 questions

My J1 waiver was applied by self and not by any attorney. Im from Research/science background PhD. Our J1 is valid for 5 years. I dont know what your J1 type is? To apply for waiver go to US Department of state website and it has all the details. It asks u to get 3 No objection certificates from Govt of India and state government and dept of health (in my case since im from science background). Then u aply to the government of india for the certificates (thru indian embassy in your region). It may take 4-5 months to get them if you are eligible.

Meanwhile go back to US dept of state website and fill online J1 waiver forms. Then print them and mail them to US waiver division alongwith payment of approx $300. Then waiver department will issue u a case number.

Indian embassy will send u a copy of certificates once they receive from govt of india and will send a No Objection Certificate to US waiver division directly. Pleas eprovide them with the case number to write on the no objection certificate.

Once all this is done...then just wait....it took me full 3 months (after I got no obj. certificate from indian govt)...so Its a very long process. U have to convince US dept of state that your staying in US is very important for US interests and how your work will help them. This would be extremely difficult in your case since you are from hospitality industry....and there is no dearth of hospitality professionals in USA. They lack science researchers and hence it
becomes easier for us to get waiver.

Keep writing on this website and u may find someone with hospitality background who has more information.

Hope this helps.

Hi aminswiss,

To answer your question about having an attorney to file for the waiver for you or not I should say I have talked to few of them and they didn't seem to know or be able to do anything more than I could do so I applied myself, although I haven't got the final decision yet but have talked to few people who got the waiver and all of them applied themselves. Just before applying try to read about it and gather as much as information you can.
Other important part is that if you are going to apply for the waiver based on no objection you need to have a statement of reason for the waiver. So it's important to have a solid reason as well.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Absolutely no reason to go with an attorney for J-1 waiver, it's very easy to do it yourself and it's a waste of money to go with a lawyer.