J1 holder, I-140 pending, travel.

interband

Hi everyone, my name is Andrey,
my J-1 ends in a couple of months, I have applied for a Green Card through National Interest Waiver by filing the I-140 in December 2010. It has been pending in Texas USCIS center for over four months now. I need to travel to Russia in about a month and to stay there for a couple of months. What can I do now to make sure that I-140 is not considered abandoned and what steps do I need to take then to go ahead to complete the GC procedure? No matter how many laws and posts I've read, it brings me to the logical dead-end ;)

My understanding is that applying for the advanced parole is futile in my case, but hopefully I am wrong.

Your advice is very much appreciated,
Thank you,
Andrey

Since you J-1 visa will end soon and you will be outside of US, so you can do "Consular Processing" to get our Green Card if your NIW can get approved.

When your priority date is current, it means that there is a visa available for you, and you should proceed immediately to apply for it. This is done by either filing form I-485 Adjustment of Status for those residing in the U.S., or by "Consular Processing" in your home country. Also see http://www.greencardapply.com/i140/i140_whatis.htm