J1 exchange visitor to F1 student?

cwu1357

Hello everyone,

I am currently in US on J1 exchange visitor visa as a postdoctoral research fellow. During my postdoc I got interested in Master's degree program in a field that I think will add to my qualification and experience and future job prospect. My J1 visa is with 2 year HRR and I have not applied for any kind of waiver. I am in US with my wife who is J2 dependent. Now I have got the admission in the desired degree program from the university. Kindly let me know if I should apply for F1 visa or should I ask the university to sponsor me a J1 visa. Moreover, if at the end I have to apply for F1 visa (in case university can't sponsor J1 visa) what are the likelyhood of my getting the F1 visa granted. I have 2 year HRR on my J1 and according to the rules I must either have waiver or should stay 2 years out of US to convert my visa status. Thus, I am to lose what I have got in hand. The other thing that I learnt is that I am on J1 exchange visitor visa and for doing any degree program I can have J1 student visa. Since, I already have J1 exchange visitor visa, I can not convert to J1 student visa. Its a big mess! Can anyone of you help or advice in this regard. Your earliest response would be of great help.
Thanks a lot.

Hello everyone,

I am currently in US on J1 exchange visitor visa as a postdoctoral research fellow. During my postdoc I got interested in Master's degree program in a field that I think will add to my qualification and experience and future job prospect. My J1 visa is with 2 year HRR and I have not applied for any kind of waiver. I am in US with my wife who is J2 dependent. Now I have got the admission in the desired degree program from the university. Kindly let me know if I should apply for F1 visa or should I ask the university to sponsor me a J1 visa. Moreover, if at the end I have to apply for F1 visa (in case university can't sponsor J1 visa) what are the likelyhood of my getting the F1 visa granted. I have 2 year HRR on my J1 and according to the rules I must either have waiver or should stay 2 years out of US to convert my visa status. Thus, I am to lose what I have got in hand. The other thing that I learnt is that I am on J1 exchange visitor visa and for doing any degree program I can have J1 student visa. Since, I already have J1 exchange visitor visa, I can not convert to J1 student visa. Its a big mess! Can anyone of you help or advice in this regard. Your earliest response would be of great help.
Thanks a lot.

Your question is answered often on the forum.
Would have taken less time to look it up then type all of this.
HRR doesn't prevent you from getting another non-immigrant visa.

Thanks area51,

Please let me know how easy is it to get F1 from J1? My concern is that when I leave US to appear in the interview for F1 do I leave as if will never come back or should I still retain my house, car etc. Also, would be helpful is if you could advice on if its easy to convert F1 to H1B later on after the visa waiver process etc? Your reply will be very helpful and already leading in some direction.

Thanks again and high regards.