J-visa expiration, can one come back from Canada immediately

itc

Registered Users (C)
Hello to everyone. I am a US citizen, but my wife's J visa will be expiring in couple of weeks. She has 30 days grace period. I really need her to stay for at least 30 days. Afterwards we will go back to her country for few weeks and since she is getting the waiver through the VA we hope to have her come back on H visa soon.

My question is: Can we go to Canada for few days (at the end of the 30 days grace period) and than come back here for 30 more days? She is a citizen of a visa waver country and she does not need a visa to visit US. Thanks to every answer.

Hello to everyone. I am a US citizen, but my wife's J visa will be expiring in couple of weeks. She has 30 days grace period. I really need her to stay for at least 30 days. Afterwards we will go back to her country for few weeks and since she is getting the waiver through the VA we hope to have her come back on H visa soon.

My question is: Can we go to Canada for few days (at the end of the 30 days grace period) and than come back here for 30 more days? She is a citizen of a visa waver country and she does not need a visa to visit US. Thanks to every answer.

As she's from visa waiver country... I would return I-94, white card, declaring she's leaving country as J1 when you go to Canada. I would not try to come back on J1.

Afterward, enter to USA as visitor. She can stay as visitor upto six months. If you have Airline ticket, you can tell upon entering that she's leaving USA on such a date and you have ticket to prove it.