J-2 clarification

cashi

cashi:
My status would be J-2 when I land in the US. I would really appreciate if you reply to my following queries:-

3) While I am on J-2, do I have the option of changing to other status E-1,E-2 or temporary work visa classes (H,I,L,O,P) for business?

Jk0274

For #3: If you are not subject to the 2-year home residency requirement due to your dependent's J-1 visa, then you can generally change status provided you are otherwise eligible. If your dependent IS subject to the home residency requirement, then so are you, and you cannot get H or L visas. unless you go back home for 2 years or your dependent obtains a waiver. You can get O, but you will still be subject to the 2-year HRR. Not sure about I and P.

Cashi

Thank you for the update. I really appreciate your taking time out. For further clarification I would like to ask you, that if I change my status from J-2 to E-2 or any other temporary work visa status as you said yes to my question # 3, woulndt my wife be eligible to convert from J-1 to my dependant class? My concern is that If my J-2 status expires due to my J-1 dependance and I am in the middle of doing business, what would I do or what options do I have?