J-1 waiver on change of permanent resident status?

sanguine

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,
I am an Indian citizen working in Singapore, who visited US for a collaborative visit on J-1 early this year. Needless to say, it came with the 2-year residency requirement. I now have an option of getting the Singapore PR. If my official permanent residence changes to Singapore, does the 2-year residency requirement for India get waived automatically?

Do I then become eligible of accepting the post-doc positions that offer H1b visa?

There is no guidance on such a situation on the government websites. So any pointers will help greatly.

thanks...

Why would you think that permanent residency in a country other than that of your birth would grant you any special privileges in regards to US immigration? Even if you were to become a citizen of another country, the US considers country of birth for US immigration benefits. Why do you think you qualify for an H1B postdoc? Many want only J1s anyway.

You need to be aware also that you taking up residence or employment elsewhere may affect your permanet residency in Singapore. You really need to decide on which country you want to live in and quit playing games.

You need to consult attorneys - in Singapore, India, and the US for their opinion of your scheme.

You asked me more questions than gave me answers, based on your assumption that I want to game the system. But I understand...since you are concerned4US!

Anyways, I don't want to pile-up PRs (i.e. green card and singapore blue card). I just want to get the best possible experience for my post-doc for 2 years and eventually head home (i.e. India) to build the career. Now, I gather that you need some sort of permanent status (like H1b) to apply for independent grants to fund your work in the US. I mean the grants such as NIH R21. To get H1b at the start of post-doc, I need waiver. Hence 'my scheme'. If you (or anyone else) is sure that J1 fellows can apply for NIH grants, that solves my issue.

Last edited by a moderator: