J-1 waiver for PhDs

VS2008

Hi.
I need to apply for J-1 waiver. I have a couple of questions about getting the no objection letters from India. Based on reading info at Indian Consulate website, several blogs online and this forum it appears that I need three of them.
1. Human Resources Ministry, New Delhi or Central Govt
2. State Govt
3. Passport Office

I am orginially from Bihar and did my 10th and 12th from Jamshedpur (now in the state of Jharkhand). I did my BSc from Banaras Hindu Univ in UP. I have done my Masters and PhD from IISc, Bangalore. I have a voter card issued from Bangalore and my Passport is also issued from Bangalore. My parents are in Bangalore now. My local address on passport is of Bangalore and permanent address from Bihar.
My question is, could I have Karnataka as my home state .
Or do I have to send my form to Bihar Secretariat.
If anybody has been in this situation and has obtained a waiver, please let me know how it worked. Any information in this matter would be helpful.
Thanks very much.
Varsha

Best is to call Indian embassy and know what they say.

when you work with Jharkhand they will send local police to your home but if you are living in Banglore they won't issues NOC.

try avoiding working with Jharkhand govt.. vey corrupt and slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Versha any update on your waiver process.. let me know if you need any help. I am also in same process as you.