J-1 waiver approval notice got lost in the mail

kung2624

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

In 2004, I got J-1 visa for 18 months as a management trainee so I was subject to a two year home residency requirement. I began applying for J-1 waiver "no objection" type on August 28, 2007 and my case was just approved on May 13th, 2008. However, I have moved (within the same state) twice since I filed for J-1 waiver. I did go to the post office and fill the forms to have them forward my mails to my new addresses though. On May 16th, I received the Favorable Recommendation from my home country embassy at my current address. However, until now I haven't got the approval notice of my J-1 waiver but it has been approved since May 13th, 2008. So, it has been over a month already. I'm not sure if it got lost in the mail. I tried to call the immigration and they told me to file for a duplicate approval notice using I-824 form and $340 fee. I'm wondering if there are other means for me to get the approval notice again. Because the guy at the immigration told me that it took me about 9 months just to get my J-1 waiver approved. So, it will take about 9 months to get a duplicate approval notice after I file I-824 form. I just got married with a U.S. citizen and I'm going to apply for a green card as soon as I receive the J-1 waiver approval notice. However, I would like my process to get done as soon as possible since I need to go back to my country after I have re-entry permit.

So, my questions are the following.
- Are there other means for me to get the J-1 waiver approval notice besides filing I-824?
- Do I need to submit anything else besides I-824 and $340 fee? A copy of Favorable Recommendation?
- Does it really take 9 months to get the duplicate approval notice after filing I-824?
- Can I use other documents to apply for a green card besides the J-1 waiver approval notice?

If anybody knows what I should do, please help!!
Thanks for all comments in advance!!