J-1 visa holder getting married to US citizen N

MichaelMG

I got a question and i hope you guys can help.

My fiancee and I have been talking and she wants me to stay here... and i love her dearly, i couldnt imagine leaving her for even a week. I came to the US on 2006 with a J1 student visa, and have been studying ever since. Me and my fiancee have been together for 3 years now and she is applying for the US citizenship (she is currently a resident) but she has been living here since she was about 5(she already got her appointment date).

Anyways, i have been researching and i hear i need a J1 waiver to be able to stay in the country after i'm done with my studies. How can i go about getting a waiver? I hear the easiest one to get is the "No Objection"

How do i get this no objection? Do i need to get a letter from my sponsor or my embassy?

Basically i want to know my options, what can i do to obtain residence AFTER my fiancee has gotten her citizenship?

First of all, you need to determine if you are subject to the 2yr HRR (home residency requirement). If you are, you need to obtain a waiver. There are 5 kinds of waiver (I think). No objection should come from your home country. Obtaining a waiver takes about 4 to 6 months. When you have the waiver and your fiancee gets her US citizenship, you can adjust your status to permanent resident after you marry your fiancee.

Here's the link for J1 waiver http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1296.html

Best of luck!